1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Without NQT Employment

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bushellROE, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I have just finished university studying primary education and am staying in London.
    I was not able to find an NQT role for September! :(
    What would people suggest I do?
    Do I supply for the year?
    Do I find alternative work for the year?
    Help...

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Check out theSupply teachers forum and see what the work is like. I'd imagine there will be a decent amount in London. If you're not too sure on supply then be careful in starting the 16 month clock ticking and maybe look at work in museums (saw a few for London lately) a years TA/CS post or other work, where possible with children x

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

You could also try a few things that will boost your income AND help build your CV. For instance, you could volunteer in a school on a pre-arranged day each week. You could also contact the appropriate exam boards and arrange to mark SATs and/or other exams. Why not try some one-to-one private tutoring (there are lots of agencies, try checking online or in your local paper, alternatively try finding tutoring work through friends or by advertising yourself). Tutoring can earn you good money depending on what key stage you teach and where you are based; I charge up to £35 per hour for GCSE and A level tutoring, but you could find out the going rate in your area with a little research.
    Or, of course, you could always look out for cover supervisor jobs, although these tend to be a much loer salary that what you'd be expecting as an NQT. Nevertheless, they offer you good in-class experience, are a baptism of fire as far as behaviour management is concerned and means that your next application will be accompanied by a reference from a headteacher.

Good luck xx