1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Without Brexit...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekillers1, Oct 19, 2019.

?

Do you agree with this statement?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

II's not a statement, it's a question. Agreeing or disageering with a question is not meaningful.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Some of us already knew this.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Some clarification please. Are we being invited to vote on whether we would have noticed (ie their uselessness / self interests is given and not open for debate), or are we voting on whether we agree that many of our MPs are useless / self interested?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Or are we ticking that we agree or disagree with the question being a statement?

My statement:
    Without Brexit, would we have ever realised that a poorly thought-out referendum could cause such a mess, dividing the country, dividing families, alienating friends and occupying so much of our time in fighting our respective standpoints?

6. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Zzzzzzz!

7. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I think that is is more complex and runs deeper than this, although I do understand the point that you are making.

The referendum itself is not responsible for the above. It is easy to believe that if the referendum hadn’t happened, the question would never have been asked and therefore things would have ticked along quite merrily.

That is not correct. If we go back, as it were, to 2014, UKIP were gaining support at an unprecedented level. When minority political parties are in the limelight, that’s generally an indication people are unhappy with the mainstream ones. People were voting UKIP because they wanted out of the EU, at least in the form it was then.

I am, and always have been, eurosceptic, or at least I have been since I started becoming aware of some things in the EU I am uncomfortable with. I accept others do not agree, or if they do agree with some of the downsides, feel that the advantages outweigh any possible negatives. That’s fine. However, put simply, the question had to be asked. Had it not been - had the referendum never happened - we wouldn’t be sitting on a lovely rosy landscape of the UK looking fondly at the EU.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I think we need a special Saturday session of TES to argue it further.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Dear defenceagainstthedarkarts,

do I have your permission to shorten your name to dada?

thekillers1 likes this.