1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Withdrawn UPS after i accepted job on that condition

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rolfiewills, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Last year I was asked if I wanted a permaant job for sept, I said I wasn't happy as I hadn't had an appraisal in years as I wanted some evidence for me to look for promotion. Head did a rushed appraisal offered me UPS in writing and terms of job for sept so I accepted. Head then left and today new head has called me in and withdrawn my ups. I want to leave asap as I only agreed to job on terms of payrise. Do you think I have any chance of getting out without working till Xmas?

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

On what grounds did this new head withdraw your change to UPS? Do you have anything in writing from the old head confirming your new job terms? Hopefully you have a contract that specifies your pay grade and if so I would say that your new head cant just take it away...

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd speak to my Union ASAP if I were you.

4. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

If previous head offered a particular salary and new head is paying you less then it's a clear breach of contract, and as you have the salary offer in writing it should be easy to make the new head back down.

Could it be as simple as a call to the HR governor? Unless there's something more to this, e.g. some breach on your part, then the school has no choice but to pay you the salary to which the previous head committed them - are you sure you want to walk away from the school rather than asserting your rights?

As FF says, see what the union think.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I agree with both asnac and FF: breach of contract and you are in a particularly strong position if you have the offer in writing.

You would claim unlawful deduction of earnings and potentially constructive wrongful dismissal, because such a breach would be repudiatory. This would mean that you could resign without giving the contractual notice (but still claim your consequential losses for having to do so).

As ever: that is information, not advice. Union should advise you on this.

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'offered me UPS in writing'

You have the evidence. As others have said, go higher and get what is rightfully yours.