1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Withdrawing from jobs abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SingMeALullabyx, May 25, 2020.

  1. SingMeALullabyx

    SingMeALullabyx New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    I was offered a job in the UAE in November and signed my contract then. I haven’t yet handed in my resignation to my current school - and with the current pandemic, although I am desperate to go, I am thinking it might be wise to withdraw and wait until everything settles down.

    The company I have my job with are very well known with a lot of schools across the UAE. If I were to withdraw do you think this would harm my chances of working for them in the future / I could potentially be black listed by them?

    I was delighted to have been offered a position with this company and would hate to ruin my chances with them / be unable to work for them again. Nothing has been set n stone though and I can’t afford to be left with no job.

    Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!
     
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. ACOYEAR8

    ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

    If you are fit, young and have a career ahead of you, why shouldn't you go ? The big question is : when will things have settled ? I'm not sure they really will 'settle' for some time. If travel is permitted, the paperwork in order, then go ahead. That said........
    A company that blacklists people for withdrawing during a global pandemic is not a company I would want to spend a minute working for.
     
  3. SingMeALullabyx

    SingMeALullabyx New commenter

    Sadly none of the paper work is in place and I have heard this company have let other people go in the last week which has filled me with uncertainties but like you said - it could take some time for things to settle!
     
  4. ACOYEAR8

    ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

    Then, with respect, you should stick with with certainties in uncertain times.
     
    kstainsb likes this.
  5. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    In these times, there’s your answer. You need to stick with the job you know is secure.

    It’s a terrible disappointment, yes, but there will be other opportunities in the future. It will stink royally if you find out you could have gone, but if you can’t afford the risk...

    It’s letting your future employer down and yes may well scupper your chances of employment with them in the future, but there are plenty of other employers.

    My advice for everyone at this time is DO NOT resign from a job you know is secure unless you really feel you have no choice but to leave or you have enough income and a place to stay for 6 months (at least).

    I know it’s hard to withdraw from your “dream”, but we are living in extraordinary times.
     
    yasf, agbak, kstainsb and 1 other person like this.
  6. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    I'm with the others on this - if you know the company have been withdrawing contracts elsewhere, then yes, stay put in the UK for now. To some extent, how they react will depend on their needs - if they are looking to withdraw contracts they might be perfectly happy to let you pull out with no consequences, but if they need you they might be less confident. Ultimately, it's up to you.
     
  7. TheComputingTeacher

    TheComputingTeacher New commenter

    Current situation is unprecedented and withdrawing from a contract that hasn't actually started is not a breach of contract. Schools understand the situation. It's an inconvenience for everyone.

    Schools have no reason to blacklist, that's something that probably happens in very rare cases. This is a genuine reason for not making a move.

    Wait for next year or you can attempt it this year with a lack of flights, no visas no anything. It's very clear that travelling is a major problem now and in the near future. Focus here and now plan for next year towards the end of this year when countries know what they are doing.
     
  8. myothername

    myothername New commenter

    Is this company sparkly?

    I know someone who worked at a sparkly school in Switzerland, and the way that organisation treated teachers at that school this past year was shameful. Teachers were strung along and told at the very end that the school was closing and they were jobless, even though the organisation knew this months earlier. I wouldn't go if you have signed on with the sparkly group.
     
    TinyTeacher92 likes this.
  9. markedout

    markedout Occasional commenter

    My school in the UAE has recruited several new staff. Some were supposed to start in April and are teaching remotely from the UK! We are honouring all new appointments, but have had some new staff withdraw and appreciate why they have made that decision. Not a sparkly school, so maybe has more integrity than some.
     
  10. colacao17

    colacao17 Senior commenter

    I was verbally offered a job after interview about 6 weeks ago. A couple of weeks later the teacher leaving decided not to leave after all and the offer had to be withdrawn.

    Employment law in the country concerned allows for a one month notice period so schools rely on the good will of teachers to notify in advance of this.
     
  11. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    There's a bit of that going on generally just now. People changing their minds about moving, and schools preferring a known entity who is in the country to an unknown who might not get in.
     
    Kartoshka likes this.

Share This Page