1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sunset, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I am in very fortunate position of being able to have a teaching assitant who is going to work soley with the maths department and shall be withdrawing small groups who are very low attaining pupils. I am going to be working with them on a 6 week programme to follow to help these students with basic numeracy skills and their confidence in maths,
    Topics I have thought to include so far are:
    Time
    Money
    Measuring
    Basic written methods for the 4 operations
    Number bonds

Any others that are regularly causing problems? These students will be year 7 and 8 and will be working below level 3.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. I am in very fortunate position of being able to have a teaching assitant who is going to work soley with the maths department and shall be withdrawing small groups who are very low attaining pupils. I am going to be working with them on a 6 week programme to follow to help these students with basic numeracy skills and their confidence in maths,
    Topics I have thought to include so far are:
    Time
    Money
    Measuring
    Basic written methods for the 4 operations
    Number bonds

Any others that are regularly causing problems? These students will be year 7 and 8 and will be working below level 3.

Thanks [​IMG]

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Place value. You could include this within money as writing cheques involves writing a number in figures and in words.

4. Oh yes, can't believe I didn't even consider that. It may be worth spending some time on multiplying and dividing by powers of 10 also.
    Thank you.

5. Not sure if your list was ordered in any way, but I'd focus on number bonds, times tables and what the operations atually mean. This, to me, is the crux of "numeracy" and is the one thing which I think can hold children (and, later, adults!) back more than anything else.

6. No, it was just as they came in to my head. We need to be also able to assess it show that it's had an impact.