1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Withdrawal of Teaching School and NLE Status

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by WinifredHoltby, Sep 13, 2019.

1. WinifredHoltby

WinifredHoltby New commenter

Can anyone tell me under what circumstances a school can lose its Teaching School status and a Headteacher his/her NLE status? I am a retired Head of a Teaching School. The school now, 5 years later, has three years of falling outcomes, is amongst the least successful academically in the local authority (when it was the most successful), has a P8 of -0.5, and the current Head - an NLE- has been Executive Head of two other schools whilst this was happening; both of which have gone into Special Measures and the Executive Head has been criticised in the OFSTED reports. Surely the school will now lose its TS and National Support School status and the Head will lose his/her NLE status- are these things reviewed and monitored by the RSC and DFE? It would be a shame for the school but I can not see any way it/they could continue to hold those titles.The school has also lost its own Outstanding status, retained Good but has had two years of falling outcomes since then.

2. R13

R13 New commenter

I was under the strong impression that losing Outstanding status leads to a review of designation . . . which can end the status or decide it is still appropriate

It looks like all Teaching Schools will lose their status at the end of the financial year anyway . . . or at least their grants!!!

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The aforementioned headteacher does not necessarily lead the teaching school aspect of the establishments work.

4. WinifredHoltby

WinifredHoltby New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I worry that they will lose all aspects. Their pattern of significantly declining results will be the end of their teaching school status; the results and the fact that they have provided significant SLT support by seconding Assistant Heads and Heads of Department, as well as the Executive Head, to two RI schools which have then gone into Special Measures with extensive criticism of that leadership in the reports. The NLE status will be reviewed for the same reasons- but focussed on the particular individual and the impact of his/her leadership on the three schools, each of which has declined significantly on every measure for 3 years.
    It is sad because it is a school in a vulnerable community itself +50% PP. Gove's curriculum changes have had their impact. Combine that with £40,000,000 of cuts to the budget of the council over 5 years, the effect on services for local people and the pressure that puts on a vulnerable school. It was a beacon for the community to be proud of and they were. It gave parents, students and staff a sense that they were part of a school recognised nationally and locally as doing fantastic things for young people and (for parents) their child was at that school. In vulnerable communities, there is often so little that is recognised and praised as high quality provision.
    It is hard to not be interested as a retired Head and I try not to read, listen to what is happening but have not quite managed it yet- my brother is also a Headteacher!