1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

withdrawal of permanant contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by teacher8886, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Appointed on a temporary contract as Ass Head to cover Maternity for a year.in open competition internal interview....extended by another year as I was doing a good job. At the end of the 2nd year the post was offered to me on a permanant basis which i accepted and have just completed 3rd year. I have now been informed that there should have been an interview process before the permanant contract was offered so my post may have to be advertised. Do I have any comeback?

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Yes. After two years you have the same rights as a permanent colleague, ie if they did not renew a contract, they would have to have a good reason which would have to be given in writing. Non renewal of contract is a Dismissal in Law, if the correct procedures are not followed you may make a claim at an Industrial Tribunal. You also then become entitled to redundancy.
    After two years, if it is a permanent vacancy, it has to be offered to you, otherwise it is an Unfair Dismissal which entitles you to make a claim at Industrial Tribunal. An exception would be two people on contract, one permanent post. Only one can be appointed, the other would be made redundant. On the basis of what you say, 3 years service etc, you will win any Tribunal and it would cost mega bucks..
    As you are now after 3 years they can't really start messing. Contact your Union asap or check out ACAS.

3. If I remember correctly, only head and deputy head jobs have to be legally advertised and interviewed for.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not even those these days, if the GB can come up with 'good reasons' not to!
    There was no need in law for the job to be advertised.