1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Withdraw from interview?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by trinity71, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    I don't really post often on this board, so I hope you don't mind me asking for some advice!
    I have an interview for a Principal Teacher post (my first application and first PT interview). However, in between applying for this and getting the interview, I've been appointed acting PT in my own school.
    I know it's only an acting post right now, but I really want to stay in my current school and prove myself there, I don't really want a move. I applied for a few reasons, one of which being it didn't look like I was going to get anywhere in my current school, but now I've been appointed acting PT, I'm really happy.
    I know I could go along to the PT interview and not do my best, but I have good reason to believe I'm a strong candiate for the post. I don't have anything against the school, I just want to stay where I am and get stuck in.
    So the problem is, can I withdraw before the interview? Does this "look" bad? What is the general opinion of people doing this?
    I know in the real world, this happens but I don't know what the situation in Education is.

Would really appreciate any thoughts and advice!
    Thanks

2. If you're happy where you are then stay. Phone the school you've applied to and explain you've been offered another position since you applied, which is what has happened. Personally I don't think it looks bad - I'd much rather have a candidate phone and pull out from applying than offer them an interview, go through the whole process and end up wasting their time and mine. And what if they offered you the job? Might as well let someone else have the opportunity for an interview and possible job if you're happy with where you are now.
    goog luck with your new position, hope it all goes well [​IMG]

3. Thanks for the advice! I called the HT today and explained how I
    was feeling and she was lovely!!! Very supportive and understanding.
    I feel so relieved! Thanks again for the help!