1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

With primary education students should learn keyboarding!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ericfoley77, Jul 21, 2017.

1. ericfoley77

ericfoley77 New commenter

I know now its all about iPads and Tablets that work for students. But besides that I think, learning keyboarding and having the best knowledge of typing accurately will be an added advantage. Without joining special classes for typing we can have some tool and can learn from that too. Such education will be always helpful and useful for primary students. That's what I think. Any suggestions ???

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

My daughter had a taster week at her new secondary, and one of things they did during the week was a typing speed test.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Keyboarding? Is that anything like waterboarding?

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Keyboard skills should be instilled at an early age to aid letter recognition, enable faster authoring ( you can never get 60 wpm on a tablet) and encourage hand sync ( devoting fingers to sets of keys ).which will help when learning music ( esp. piano ). As an extra incentive, download an app that converts keystrokes into spoken letters - especially useful for pupils with poor eyesight.

5. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Many moons ago at the age of eleven I really wanted to learn to type properly. The private typing teacher wouldn't take me because I'd passed my eleven plus and she said that I'd not cope with all the work involved plus that expected at grammar school. I wished I'd failed my eleven plus because at secondary school all the girls learned shorthand and typing.

Throughout my life (including the time I spent teaching) I really wished I'd learned to touch type at speed. It would have been so very handy.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I reckon some of mine would be good at that...

7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Ha, ha. I remember this too. Cos they were all gonna be secretaries innit? Not a single boy on the course, we were all doing woodwork. So funny looking back...

8. ericfoley77

Well, I just meant that improving typing skills from keyboard.

9. ericfoley77

That's really great initiative by the school so as to improve students typing skills in the correct age.

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Well, weighing the pig doesn't achieve anything - I don't know what they do to teach/encourage them to type faster. However the fact that they have collected the information suggests that they might do something about it.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter