1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

With me it's all or nothing. Is it all or nothing with you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm not good at 'everything in moderation'. I have embroidered a sampler with meden agan on it to make me mindful but it doesn't work. When I was a smoker I used to smoke 40 a day. From the day I gave up, I have never smoked another one. I have kept off this website for 9 months but now I'm posting far too much.

I wish I could be the sort of person who could look at a mangetout and say, "I couldn't eat a whole one".

How about you?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm the opposite, I couldn't be bothered.

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It depends! If I'm knitting or cross stitching, I'll redo if I've made a mistake- several times if necessary!

Housework, not so much. Meh!

Like you,@Lascarina, I gave up smoking and never smoked another. Strangely, I sometimes dream that I have though.

Sometimes, only the best will do, other times it's 'good enough.'

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

"Mangetout - couldn't eat a whole one" :D

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can be quite moderate about most things. When I smoked I was on two a day unless I was out with friends.

My addictions are books, dogs and food. I have had to work hard to develop an addiction to exercise to try to balance my love of baking and eating what I produce.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

All or nothing. Same with smoking. 20 or nothing.
    Drinking. A bottle of wine a day or nothing.
    Work. Retire.

I can turn on a sixpence.

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Same here. I don't do moderation. If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess.
    If I'm on a diet, I am conscientiously On A Diet. The rest of the time I'm a pig. I don'r want one glass of wine, thanks. I'm almost at the end of SoberOctober. I can do none. I can do all. But I can't do some.

8. grumpydogwoman

Drives my wife nuts. "You said you were going to x, y, z."

Yes, and then I changed my MIND!!!

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's exactly it. Do you think it's genetic?

10. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

I do everything to excess
    Moderation is for wimps :)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But excess leads to addiction.

12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It's great to see people who gave up smoking..... and smoking nearly as much as I did..... on the "cold turkey" method. Well done! I have to be honest...... it wasn't as difficult as I feared. I do know that I must never ever touch one again (that included being unable to show an innocent friend of mine what to do with a special ciggie in Amsterdam!)
    However..... how do I get this across to elder child who is still on E cigs nearly 2 years after having "given up" smoking.... and Other Half who is still "vaping" away being on his 2nd stint go giving up. His first was a spectacular fail after vaping for months. I am of the opinion that by vaping you don't lose the smoking behaviours and so ultimately it is easier to fall back into smoking....

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

It does
    But I can give it up any time I like :D

edited for clarity

xena-warrior likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

I totally agree @HelenREMfan

My younger daughter reckons she's given up. She's utterly dependent upon vaping though. Why? Just pack it in.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'm more of an all-things-in-moderation type. I can open a bottle of wine and it'll be half-full a week later. (Mind you, that would not be true of a bar of chocolate.)

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Depends what I am doing. in some things i go for gold and give it my all.In others I get bored and so give up.If I lose attention or interest then it will never be completed.
    I can have strong willpower when it suits so i can easily resist most temptation.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Maybe that's because of the blockers! [​IMG]

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I daren't go anywhere near Waitrose at the moment because I've got a thing about their Marlborough buns. If you go in a bit before closing time they reduce them from £1.40 apiece to 42p and I expect I could eat 3, one after the other, if I bought them.

19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've got better at taking a middle path between all or nothing as I've got older. I could quite easily get obsessively engrossed in hobby things but only let myself do that if other things are finished first.

20. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

I think it depends on the issue.