1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

With 305 posts I am now a 'Frequent Contributor'!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by teachingking123, Nov 15, 2015.

1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Was a new one, an asocial one and now a frequent one. What does that mean?

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The descriptions suggest frequency, but is it really measuring frequency, or is it, as I suspect, just counting the number of posts?

If it were really measuring frequency, then you'd expect it to say Frequent contributor if, say, you'd had a busy week, and then change back to Occasional contributor if you then didn't post for a week. I haven't noticed it doing that - in my days in software quality assurance I'd have sent that back to the programmers for clarification.

teachingking123 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually I believe that it may refer to the number of LIKES that you have had . . . not sure, though. Perhaps that's one of the Trphies.:D

Best wishes

teachingking123 likes this.
  4. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Best wishes for you too Theo

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Never was a spelling error more amusingly apposite

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ha ha.

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Actually, that might be true as I'm not a Frequent contributor with just over 100 posts (not including the thousands I made before the site changed!). Didactylos4 is an Established contributor with fewer posts than me.

So it seems that becoming a Frequent contributor is not about frequency, or even the contributions, but the actions of other people. It's like performance-related pay!

Lascarina and Didactylos4 like this.
  8. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you @TheoGriff. You are right.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I find that quite embarrassing and almost feel that I should apologise. :oops:
    When I joined I had no intent or desire to become "popular" (nor do I now) and I don't think that my status is either fair or warranted.
    I put it down to my habit of posting largely on Personal where fellow posters are exceedingly generous with their "likes" and I tend to get them for even the most bland (or beige) of comments.

It could simply be that they are all very friendly or that they have taken pity on me. Or it could indeed be that some of them (not all by any means) are making a small point about the "likes" and the linked award system.

I can not claim, however, that nearly half my posts deserve to be liked as they quite clearly don't (in my opinion).
    All that I can suggest is that you too spend more time on there to top up your likes and your status. To which end, and feeling the need for some sort of penance, I have liked the post I quoted above.
    :)

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But who are you to question the taste or lack of it of other posters?;)

Didactylos4 likes this.
  11. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

I am a new contributor as of today.