1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wish more schools would take this line!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Mar 20, 2017.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Excluded permanently for hitting a teacher with a stick!

Bet the parents of her potential new classmates are now thrilled to bits.
    A child who can only be accommodated at school for two hours a day in their second week was most definitely not fine in their first week. Wonder how long she'll last in her next school.

Mother might have been better off not publicising the fact her child has been permanently excluded already.

stonerose, Laphroig, tonymars and 8 others like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Impressive really that any school can act that quickly, must be over-subscribed.

The only way the outstanding ones can soar is by finding a sink school to dump their rejects in, such a pity that OFSTED and others can't see this.

3. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

4. caterpillartobutterfly

Or perhaps one that just flatly refuses to allow a reception class teacher to be assaulted.

stonerose and slingshotsally like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

I LOVE the Daily Mail...makes me feel all moderate and liberal. ;)

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

I can believe the school started to introduce boundaries and wouldn't let her be in control. How dare they?!

stonerose, Laphroig, Pomz and 3 others like this.
  7. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

'They started to introduce boundaries and that's when Lilly kicked off. She likes to be in control and apparently she hurt a teacher with a stick.'

If this is exactly what the situation was then this child has learned that she is allowed to be the one in control, even when adults who have authority over her are present. She has also learned that boundaries and rules don't apply to her. If she has never been in a nursery setting at all then the only place she can have learned this is in the home.

The family need to work to turn those learned behaviours around so that this 5 year old can have a chance of functioning in society, attending school and making friends.

She is 5...helping her with this is the responsibility of the adults in her life.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ayee-this parent complains about the school not allowing her child in, and says "if I kept her off school this long I'd be put in prison".
    Erm, durr-if she hit a teacher with a stick she'd be put in prison!
    Unbearable self-centered anti-social parenting.

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps unable to home educate or missing the "childcare", if your child had the tendency to hit out with a stick you'd want to offload it too!

Good on the school, this nonsense must be nipped in the bud.

10. drek

drek Lead commenter

The parent needs to attend parental 'support' classes. She has foolishly identified herself as an inadequate one so publicly! Lol

11. caterpillartobutterfly

Absolutely!

stonerose, peggylu and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

I have mixed feelings.
    I am in full agreement that a child who hits teachers with a stick should not be in a mainstream infant school.
    However a five year old child is not really in control of their own actions, and desperately needs support that the mother is obviously unable to deliver, to enable her to interact in an environment that is not her own home, follow rules, learn to make friends and take part in learning. It looks as if the child has been let down by the LA / social services.

Laphroig, Anonymity and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes, I agree. Hope social services are now getting right into the family. Arguably by going to the press like this the parents are actually abusing their own child....(for reasons given in earlier posts).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The mail on Sunday is my favourite read with the gloriously bonkers outpourings of Peter Hitchens being the weekly highlight.

15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

I noted these statements:

I've done every parenting course there is

I wonder if this is like the 'I attended the revision sessions' (having ***ed about all year) but didn't actually do anything.

....and I regularly take her to hospital and to the doctors.

I bet they're pleased! (she doesn't mention what they have said)

'We live close to the school and she watches everyone in the morning. The tears we have are just horrific.'

What a perfect opportunity for you to explain (in 5 year old terms) the concept of actions and consequences (rather than placing the responsibility elsewhere).

16. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Agreed.......sharp intake of breath when I rolled over the link after reading your post.

17. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

*makes a protective sign and throws holy water*

Tis evil, shun the evil!

(The paper not you)

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The school acted quickly but it appears that the LEA are bring very slow sorting out another place for the child or supporting her at home.

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

Mmm , I wonder why ? ! They are probably thinking thatthere will be a repeat of the behaviours in the other settings.
    If it's not nipped in the bud now , then who knows what delights await the child . A very sad state of affairs .

stonerose, peggylu and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

They may well have tried several other schools who have flatly refused to take the child after a short visit.
    I thought that too. Firm, clear voice needed. "Well you shouldn't have hit your teacher and behaved badly then should you? When we find you a new school, I suggest you behave yourself and do as your teacher tells you. Then you can keep going to school."
    But probably it is more whiny, gentle voice " I know sweetie, but the horrible school didn't understand you and the teachers weren't able to control you because they aren't very good. Don't worry we'll find you a new school soon with teachers who will like you."