1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wish me luck......

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Sei es dir gegönnt!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I know how much this will mean to you if it works out, Bethannie. Fingers crossed.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Good luck Bethannie, I used to teach a lad who had allergies to milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, but he was fine with goat's cheese, hopefully you will be too.

4. Good luck! I'm the same as another poster...cheese really doesn't last long in my house but chocolate can last for months.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I hate cheese [​IMG]

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Today's the day!

I'm fine with eggs - and nuts....I'm okayish with milk, but use goats milk whenever possible...I'm thinking of trying some of the rice/nutmilks too....my main problem is cheese....oh and cats (long-haired...but that's skin contact - I don't eat them!!!)
    I've been warned that I may never be able to tolerate cows-milk cheese. (oddly enough I'm fine with Philly!....and Quark/cottage cheese)... So no cheddar ....or stilton....but if I can have some cheese it will be a real treat!
    I do love chocolate (especially the dark bitter stuff) - but if I had the choice, would give that up completely rather than cheese!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A couple are slightly cheaper....
    I went for...Sussex Slipcote....'only' £2.69.
    I am aware it isn't the cheapest cheese....and I have a shopping trip to Morrisons booked where I can (and probably will!) buy cheaper cheese.
    I knew I had a veg box due today - and that it would be a few days before my Morrisons trip - so I added the cheese as an extra to my box! (Disability limits my shopping options....and I didnt want to wait!)
    ....I wonder if the prices/varieties at Riverford differ depending on the area in which you live?

8. Revised statement: It must be a terrible (tertible - where did that come from??) thing to live in a cheeseless world if you love cheese. ;-)
    All cheese, Crowbob? Nothing cheesy light your candle in the slightest?

9. Organic grocery deliveries would be beyond my budget, I'm afraid.
    What kind of allergy do you have?
    I am sensitive to all dairy and make do with Sainsburys 99p sheeps milk feta.
    Hopelessly unfashionable, but there we are.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

For fruit/veg boxes I actually find that Riverford is comparable to supermarket prices. (Pretty much always cheaper than buying organic at the supermarket)...the meat is expensive...if you have an order over (I thik) £12 the delivery is free.
    I have periods when i can;t leave the house - home deliveries are important to me!
    As I said, I have a trip planned to Morrisons (no Sainsburys near me) and will do a bigger and relatively cheap shop there....my next shopping trip will be booked for Lidls (I alternate the two supermarkets).

Dairy - in particular cows milk cheese.

I live on benefits...the treat of organic cheese home-delivered was a one-off treat - a sort of celebration!

11. I'd love to have organic everything but its often too pricey, even at the supermarket.
    What milk do you make your rice pudding with?

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Really, really, really hope this works out for you, Beth.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I agree - I try to buy ethically-farmed meat (I'd rather eat small portions of meat or have a veggie option than buy intensively farmed meat) but organic is way out of my budget.
    I have a veg/fruit delivery every fortnight. Depending on what size box I have and if I need to order an 'extra' I estimate between £6 and £10 a week. The free delivery is important - I'd need to book an extra trip to the supermarket if I didn;t get a home-delivery.

It depends...for choice I use goats milk (from Morrisons usually) - but I can tolerate cows milk in smaller portions (I can also eat Philly)....I am interested intrying a nut milk or rice milk - to see what the taste is like and also to see how they differ in cooking - but they are also a little more expensive than cows milk....I have tried soya milk and didn't really like that.

14. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Tesco have just started doing an own-brand range of dairy free products that looks pretty good - lots of alternatives to soya. There's a hazelnut milk that I'm sure is just begging to be used in baking (something chocolatey?) and their soya yogurts are my yogurt of choice even though I'm fine with dairy, they're really tasty! Alpro do a nice almond milk as well, one of my favourite summer drinks is to chuck a tin of pears, some almond milk and some hot chocolate powder in a blender and liquidise it. REALLY good! Nut milks are my favourites but it depends on your taste and what you're using them for. I'm not keen on soya milk either (although I often use it in baking), but rice milk is quite nice. My dairy-intolerant mother in law gets cartons of coconut milk (different to the stuff in tins, not sure how though) but I find it oddly watery so I prefer rice milk to that.

15. I hope cheese testing is going ok and not making you poorly, Beth. I'm not the greatest cheese fan, for me blue cheese and goats cheese are food of the devil!
    With regard to alternatives to cows milk, I went through a phase of using rice milk in my porridge or on oats but have now gone back to skimmed milk - watery I know but doesn't really taste of milk which is a good start for me! Provamel rice milk was the rice milk I preferred but I think some supernmarkets are now doing their own label versions. Rice milk does tend to be quite sweet so it depends if you like the sweet taste or not. I could never get on with soya milk, even the ones sweetened with apple juice.

16. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Hope everything goes well Beth, if it does you could be in for a treat. Around here we have a lot of goats cheese producers and they do everything from cottage cheeses through feta, soft and hard cheeses and my personal favourite a hard goat cheddar with blue veins. Like a mature slightly chalky stilton but hard, delicious with digestives or in a bechemal on anything. Must get some more soon, but its a bit of a trek and they dont deliver over here (the trek is 100 miles I should add)

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sheep Cheese seems to be a success!
    The trick now is to keep working slowly - no scoffing cheese everyday!...and introducing new sorts carefullly!
    A goat cheddar sounds heaven! I'm really hoping I find a nice meltable cheese I can tolerate.
    (I still shudder when I recall the foray into Vegan Cheeze!)
    It was the sweetness of soya milk that put me off it. It just tasted 'wrong'!

18. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

19. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Good to hear it went werll, I'm sure you will be able to find a good non-cow based cheddar in the UK and hopefully a blue cheese version as well. If semi-rural Afrika can manage them, the UK should be able to!