1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wisdom teeth!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Bonnie23, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

My wisdom teeth started to come through when I was about 14 years old. They stopped moving and I've been left where they're half in half out.

On Friday my gums started to feel a bit achy and today they're so sore. It's really just one gum, it's like a little 'flap' of gum hanging over my wisdom tooth. I'm not sure if it's infected but if it's this sore surely it must be? I've had this before and normally it happens when I'm stressed.

I've just moved and I don't have a dentist and going back to school tomorrow I feel like i'll be taking the p**s if I have to have an emergency appointment :(

It's so sore I can barely close my mouth. I've tried salt water but no luck. Can anyone advise?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm not sure what advice you could reasonably expect about bad toothache on an online forum other than 'go and see your dentist'.... :)

For pain relief until you get to the dentist my dentist recommended Neurofen+ to me

Corsodyl mouthwash is also recommended by my dentist for gum infection, but only as interim measure until you get to the dentist, not an alternative!

Sorry to hear about the pain though, bad toothache is a b*gger

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've got the exact same recurring problem. The last few years, it has happened about 3 times a year and the dentist has recommend salted water and corsodyl. I have a flare up and then, it goes away. My dentist is not that keen on removal as, apparently, it's a big operation and would rather not do it unless it became a real problem.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

You're probably clenching or grinding your teeth when stressed which is pressing on the gum flaps and making them sore.

I had gum flaps over my wisdom teeth for for years but eventually they pushed all the way through and I had no more problems. I would recommend seeing the dentist though.

5. Bonnie23

Thank you for your comments.

I didn't realise the corsadyl mouthwash was that good! I'll pick some up tomorrow. I've tried salt water too as disgusting as it tastes.

does anyone think i might have to have anti-biotics? The swelling just needs to go down. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to the doctors though. I feel that Wednesday might be the earliest.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You ought to be able to get an emergency dentist appointment this week, certainly as soon as a doctor's one.
    Speak to colleagues and ask for a recommendation and get a late evening appointment.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Go and find s dentist. Clove oil gives good temporary pain relief- rub it on your gum.

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Corsodyl is very good - recommended by my dentist too, after a very yucky abscess/extraction. Think you will definitely need to see a dentist asap. Hope you feel better soon.

9. Bonnie23

Hi

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to a dentist.

I've been using corsodyl like people have suggested and some pain killers. My gum has improved, still a little tender but no longer swelling. If it gets worse I'll go to the dentist.