1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wireless

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by hm112819, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am currently looking at wireless solutions for a BSF school. The vendors we are looking at, at the moment are Cisco, Maru and Xirus. I'm trying to gather thoughts on what people currently have and any problems/issues they have had.
    I'm also looking for some schools that have recently installed a Xirus solution.
    Cheers

2. Hi
    I am currently looking at wireless solutions for a BSF school. The vendors we are looking at, at the moment are Cisco, Maru and Xirus. I'm trying to gather thoughts on what people currently have and any problems/issues they have had.
    I'm also looking for some schools that have recently installed a Xirus solution.
    Cheers

3. No experience in a school but it's generally not very reliable. Far better off with physical network connections.

4. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

Of course, but if you want to be able to get your emails while your travelling around school, or nor have to worry about dragging a CAT5 cable around the tables of the staff room then you need a wireless connection

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Wireless sucks like an upside down Dyson - anyhting serious I want to do with a class I go for wired, there is no contest. Having said which we have 3 times as many wireless machines as wired with coverage all over the school: it is massively useful and flexible, just unreliable and getting proper tech support for it has been awful.

6. sadly no personal experience of wireless procurement but worth looking at private practice with airport terminals / shopping centres etc as these will experience similar load levels to a large school for wifi access I would expect.

we use a mix of cat5 and wifi, with less wifi than we used to but i think that based upon anecdotal evidence, wifi usage due to laptops as well as smartphones is increasing year on year. We have to make provision as more students bring their own devices to school, particularly in rural locations as it will eventually be incorporated into teaching and learning, so may as well start making infrastructure provision for it now?

7. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

We've looked at replacing our very old, unreliable wireless - which, due to lots of ad hoc building work etc, now has lots of dead-spots and other problems.
    The quotes from a range of providers were pretty eye-watering (£25k for what they called a 'starter system' all the way up to £45k+)
    I'm seriously thinking of just saying, if you really want wireless access we'll buy you a 3G dongle (or sub it) and you can store your stuff in the cloud.