1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

#WinterResidentials - Don't miss out

Discussion in 'School trips' started by outdooradventurer, Sep 25, 2017.

1. outdooradventurer

outdooradventurer New commenter

Starting this autumn is a great campaign to get schools to undertake more winter residentials. There are some great benefits to taking groups outdoors, here's a short film highlighting just a few of them: Play

What it will mean is that there will be plenty of providers around the country offering great deals on short winter breaks.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Might be great but you have to convince the staff to go as well.

3. outdooradventurer

You're right there, but Natural Connections did a great survey in the southwest of 125 schools following residentials and found:
    90% of staff surveyed found outdoor learning to be useful for curriculum development.
    72% of schools reported that outdoor learning had a positive impact on teachers' health and wellbeing
    79% of teachers surveyed said outdoor learning had a positive impact on their teaching practice and 69% said it had a positive impact on their professional development.
    72% said outdoor learning improved their health and well being and 69% said it had a positive impact on their job satisfaction.
    Natural connections Demonstration Project (2012) Findings from research of 125 southwest schools and 40,000 pupils.

So sometimes that time away from home can have greater benefits back in the classroom.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I agree with all that but going outdoors in Winter is not everyone's cup of tea.

5. outdooradventurer

I know what you mean, those continuous wet cloudy days, oh hang on, wasn't that in June!

Why children should be playing outdoors in winter:
    1. See the outdoors through a new perspective
    2. Increases exercise and the use of different muscles
    3. Vitamin D exposure
    4. Breathing fresh air and avoiding germs
    5. Offers new challenges and problem solving

Remember there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. Layers, Gloves & Hat.

Come on life is for year round learning, not just 6 months when the sun might shine.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I am not disagreeing with you at all. I was my school's EVC for many years and organised and sanctioned many outdoor trips. However staff are under so much time pressure that adding in the chance of short days, cold and wet weather onto the trip would make it less attractive to staff. Plus schools often prefer residentials to be in the less packed times of the year such as after the exams in July or early in the Autumn. You may get some takers if you give a massive discount on the price for going off peak.

7. outdooradventurer

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I took our Year 4s two years running in January. Had a fantastic time and significantly cheaper. I planned in loads of learning directly related to the planned curriculum. Time to put a stop to this idea that a residential mean learning stops. and that's ignoring all the benefits of children staying away from their family in new surroundings. We stayed at Sayers Croft near Guildford. Cannot recommend them enough.