1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winter babies 2010/2011

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladybug3, Mar 10, 2010.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Quick post, found you all finally! SR glad you enjoyed the theatre, mini kitten loved Ben and Holly. Your LO sounds hilarious!

Good weekend here, we met some old friends for lunch and did some new-house shopping, just boring stuff really but still exciting! Also made banana smoothie lollies- just milk and banana blended and put in moulds, took 5 mins and LO loves them!

House move going ok thanks, got to write our wills next. Hoping for end of term for moving day and not before.

20 week scan in less than 2 weeks! Getting excited now :)

Potty training- I think it's better to wait if they're not ready. Summer hols is our goal!

2. Well done to all those getting to live performances, we love a bit of theatre & took LO to see the Gruffaloschildlive on Bank Hol Mon, it was fab. Glad those in the 2nd trimester are feeling a bit better. Just got to say.... Aaaarrrgghhhh..... This time aimed at my sister! Two days after my initial attempts to potty train LO (which I stupidly informed her off by text) and subsequent disastrous day at nursery, I get a phone call from my nephew - well sort of!- informing me that he had done all his wees and poos in the toilet that day. He is 3 months younger than LO. My sister claims he just did it of his own accord at the childminders. Bit unlikely that he just happens to potty train himself the day after I try and fail with LO!! I swore that we would never be competitive as they are so close in age but I am feeling distinctly miffed. I feel it's v insensitive of her to crow about her brilliant successes so soon after our aborted potty training and equally insensitive to rub my nose in it with phone calls and texts. Aarrgghh...... Am I being ridiculous? Also, having a bit of an issue with a friend that I would welcome your perspectives on. She lives nearly 2 hours away & the last 2 times we've seen her we have travelled there. I sent a text updating her on OH's treatment options and received a pretty 'non' text 3 days later saying she'd ring me the following day, which she didn't. This is the second time in as many months that she's arranged to ring at a certain time (convenient to her) & then hasn't. Yesterday I sent her a msg on fb, again no response. I know she's been on cause she's posted all manner of random links today. We were best friends at Uni & I was bridesmaid at her wedding, not sure what's going on. Any ideas? Sorry for the rant!

3. WB, with everything that is going on, I've realised that you certainly find out who your friends are. I've had friends text/phone and check I'm okay or to ask how Mum is and how I'm coping to people I thought were friends barely acknowledging anything or just withdrawing. I know some people don't know what to say so just don't say anything, but I don't want to discuss it all the time, just random chats are nice! Some of the people I thought were friends, I've just let go, life is too short, it hurt at the time, but I do have some truely amazing friends and it has really brought me and my sisters closer together which is lovely.

I would ignore your sister's comments, yes it's insensitive, I'm sure there are lots of things that your LO has done at a much earlier age - think of those and inwardly grin!

Take care all - this site is driving me nuts

x

4. Annie, thanks so much. You have hit the nail on the head. My sister had cancer about 5 years ago ( you couldn't make my life up! ) and as a family we became an even closer unit then and as you say I certainly shed friends at the time who were totally insensitive. She's fine now and made a full recovery. I found this time round, that I've been best supported by my 'new' friends, those I've made since LO has been born. It could just be that they are local to me and I spend more time with them all but they have been amazing, much better than friends I've had for years. Equally, my sister-in-law who my brother has only been with for 3 years, always knows the right thing to say and do and has been fantastic support.

5. Hello ladies. Not liking this new Tes site AT ALL. Just concerned now that it's stupid functionality will prevent our cohort from posting. Hope you are all ok and had a good weekend. WB - I agree with Annie. Sometimes people really take you by surprise when things happen and you discover you can't count on them at all. Sadly, I have found my own sister to be one of them so am not entirely surprised by your post. Hugs though - it is certainly hurtful and also insensitive in my opinion.

Kittens - promising news re house. CAn't believe you are almost mid way though pregnancy either. Time flies when it's not you.

NED - really hope the house thing comes off for you this time.

Am sorry girls - done it again. Head like sieve. Can't remember who to reply to. LO is ill so had even less sleep than normal. Not ideal as I have quite a big week this week. Got a call at school to say LO is ill. My mum helped me out but I have used up all my good will there so OH will have to leave work early to get him as she won't have him all day tomorrow. It wasn't good timing for her - she got bad news about her friend, my dad is away and my uncle is giving her a hard time. Even so, juggling needing to be at work and an ill LO is not easy.

Hope pregnant ladies are feeling better.

Lily - sorry sounds insensitive but relieved we aren't the only ones with dreadful sleep. We got one night of 6 hours last week. Every other night was awful.

Better go - must get ready for tomorrow and go to bed. Can't wait for this week to be over though not looking forward to exam marking kicking off next week. The things we do for cash!

6. Phew tracked you down!

WB that IS annoying of your sister - no need for her to rub it in! we've not even got a potty yet if that makes you feel any better!

Thanks for tips on what to watch - have now watched all the Scott&Baileys and Endeavours which were good, so need something else if any more suggestions?

We have had less screaming here from Freddie since I found a white noise app. It is quite magic! V irritating but def better than screaming! He has started smiling :) 6 week growth spurt I think - the boy has barely looked up from my boob today!

Had a 45 min stand off with george - he was hitting so told him to go to naughty step -he refused to sit on it and lay on floor next to the step kicking and screaming and moaning while I feigned calm, didn't look at him just said 'sit on the step' in a bored voice regularly. All while sitting on the floor breastfeeding Freddie and stopping G from escaping! Super nanny didn't have to do this!! after 45 mins he did sit on it thank god. I was trying to avoid getting proper cross and a bit too rough like I did the other day which just made him laugh and made me feel guilty! Hopefully next time he will know I do mean it. Argh this behaviour management is hard when its your own kids - maybe naughty step was a bad idea in the first place...

Bed time! Hope all sleep well xx

7. Hope today went well Jones x

MissL Supernanny doesn't have a patch on you. Breastfeeding, keeping your cool and triumphing?! Go you!

WB - frying pan, sister.

Quannie - it is hard to know what to say but it really does make a difference when someone asks how everything is going, doesn't it? Hope your mum's doing ok and getting all the support that she needs from the hospital. Our local hospice were fab, they do get togethers, wig fittings, meals and pamper days that really were a lifeline for my mum during her treatments.

Sorry to those I've forgotten.

Must go and actually mark some assessments. Really. I am going. I am. Honest.

8. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

Just posting to say hi and I haven't gone anywhere! Grrr-.hotlist used to take you to the last place you were- now it just tells you how many new posts and takes you to the start of the thread- stupid!!!

I wonder if paragraphs work now.

If this is on a different line it does...

9. So... we all hate this stupid thing! Could we bear to move ourselves? Have done a little investigating and we could set up our own 'group' and post there instead and should be able to get there more easily than this? Would be sad to lose our thread though...

Nightmare day at work today. Tired and grumpy so not doing any work tonight. Wine, bath and bed needed!

Hope you are all OK xxx

10. I've managed to log on but let's see if I can post!

11. Also not had the greatest of days! Watching You've Been Fired. Have set us up a group, anyone who posts regularly or is on the Facebook group should have a request. If you haven't, I apologise as I will have just missed your user name off. The exception is SR whose user name doesn't appear when I search.

Night all!

12. Oh right. This piece of Carp is now letting me log in. Have no idea how to find the group?!? I feel like TES bullies are trying to split us up !

13. Yay! Not sure who to reply to but wanted to say I have been reading and I have been thinking of you.

Hope all 2nd time mummies and pg mummies are all ok.

Non sleepers you have my sympathy L has been hard work sleep wise the last few nights and I am really struggling. Thank goodness my working week is done.

Can I ask opinions? I am considering returning to work full time. Am I mad? I am primary and hopefully will get my own class in Foundation. We've looked at figures and even putting L into nursery for the extra 2 days we are quite a bit better off. Is anyone in primary full time? How has it been? Am I really stupid for even considering it? Will I regret my decision?

14. Am liking the new group! I think we could probably ask TES to move this thread there for posterity and then start part two?

Kells, I work full time but secondary leadership. Now that I am used to it, it is fine... I would say, if you can afford a cleaner, get one. Shop on the internet. Have enough childcare that you can get done everything you need to do before you go home so you are not trying to work and look after LO at the same time (I am still working on this one). Be hyper organised. And it will be fine!

15. Thanks LB. We are planning on getting a cleaner. Didn't think of online shopping. I'm not normally an organised person but I'm thinking I will have to use my PPA time wisely rather than fritter it away like usual. I'm just waiting on the say so from HT now. Hopefully I'll know by half term.

16. ok - I have found it. Took long enough!!!! haven't found new place yet.

Sorry haven't got a clue who to reply to - brain like a sieve.

wormburger and qu1annie - hope your respective husband/mum are ok.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - midwife I spoke to about slapped cheek last week was full of ***********

basically I did need a blood test which I had on Tuesday - 'could have had it last Friday had I been given the correct information. Anyway, blood results aren't back having been told they would be back after 48 hours. Head won't let me go back to work without results but at the same time gp doesn't see reason why I need to be off. So its ok as long as work don't request a sick note!!! - Would rather go to work - its too much hassle having to sort cover work etc. Still throwing up, had nightmare getting more tablets but have got them now.

Sorry am feeling very **************** off.

17. ok - I have found it. Took long enough!!!! haven't found new place yet.

Sorry haven't got a clue who to reply to - brain like a sieve.

wormburger and qu1annie - hope your respective husband/mum are ok.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - midwife I spoke to about slapped cheek last week was full of ***********

basically I did need a blood test which I had on Tuesday - 'could have had it last Friday had I been given the correct information. Anyway, blood results aren't back having been told they would be back after 48 hours. Head won't let me go back to work without results but at the same time gp doesn't see reason why I need to be off. So its ok as long as work don't request a sick note!!! - Would rather go to work - its too much hassle having to sort cover work etc. Still throwing up, had nightmare getting more tablets but have got them now.

Sorry am feeling very **************** off.

18. This poxy site is now driving me mad. Apologies to those I forget. It's taken an age to log in. SR - agree with you - it's like bullies excluding you. Right now I am feeling excluded! Bradley, not surprised you are fed up. Bunch of idiots - how totally helpful. Hope you don't get grief from work too. Kels - hugs. It's a tricky one. Full tme is certainly manageable but I agree with LB. Definitely get a cleaner. Definitely do online shop. Use holidays to batch cook and fill your freezer. Buy a slow cooker and yes, enjoy all the extra cash because it does make a big difference! Lots of love to you all. If this works it will be a miracle but we shall see.

19. Hate this site. Hate it. Hate it.. But love you guys so I guess I ought to get over myself. Have just spent a fortune on a black out blind for our room. We have such light curtains and when LO comes in (as she does on a regular basis) she then struggles to sleep. If the blackout blind works, I'll get another to go in her room rather than the black gro one she's got at the minute. Hopefully it'll be less claustrophobic then as no natural light comes into her room at the moment. Hope this works!!

20. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hiya ladies! I noticed it says someone has set up a group, does that mean you won't be posting on this forum now? Hope not cos I love reading how your LOs are getting on. Xxx