1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winston Churchill: Hero or villain? - BBC News

Discussion in 'History' started by AndrewvanZyl, Jun 10, 2020.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

A statue of Winston Churchill was sprayed with graffiti during recent protests in London, with claims that the former prime minister was racist. Government ministers condemned the "vandalism and desecration" of the statue. But Britain’s wartime leader split opinion in his own lifetime, and remains a divisive figure today. To many he will always be known as the man who helped inspire the allies to victory in WW2, but some question other parts of his legacy. Historians Sonia Purnell and Richard Toye talked to the BBC about some of his most controversial moments.

2. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

I increasingly feel these, and many of your links a lot of which are topical would be better posted in Education News rather than here. Think they would be far more popular there and probably more widely used.

3. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

As I pointed out in my last note, I post this material here since I believe it will be of specific interest to History teachers. The Education News section is, I assume, for general educational news and developments. I appreciate that you might not want to view this material in this thread but to date 138 other History teachers have been interested in this post. I do not post material in an ad-hoc fashion. If you are unhappy with this situation may I suggest you take it up with the moderator? Happy teaching....

4. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

That's a very inappropriate response.

I don't recall your last point but I do recall mine. I said that as a practicing teacher I don't find your posts useful because how to use them? They are for example not mapped to curriculum; I suggested you tag them by topic. You chose not to and that's fine, but then as I say, I don't see how to use them and yes I don't find them useful.

The education section is for issues that impact on how we teach today. If you think that current protests have no such impact well then I am at a loss for words.