1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winning!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Jan 28, 2011.

1. I was on the radio this morning - winning £420 for entering a a "we pay your bill" competition! I nearly crashed the car when they read out my name - had 15 minutes to ring but my phone battery was dead so drove to work like a nutter!
    I go to bingo every few weeks and more often than not win something there too. I must be lucky!
    Just so this thread isnt purely me boasting [​IMG] Has anyone else ever won anything?

2. I was on the radio this morning - winning £420 for entering a a "we pay your bill" competition! I nearly crashed the car when they read out my name - had 15 minutes to ring but my phone battery was dead so drove to work like a nutter!
    I go to bingo every few weeks and more often than not win something there too. I must be lucky!
    Just so this thread isnt purely me boasting [​IMG] Has anyone else ever won anything?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Someone on the cookery forum won a le Creuset roasting tin.

Well done both of you.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Thats great. I entered a competition on behalf of a friend and she won a weekend of her choice (did orient express, shows, dinner at Ramseys resteraunt, overnight at Ritz etc) believe she had a lovely time. Was amazd when they said I'd won.
    Congratulations Impulce! x

5. wow! what are you going to spend it on?

6. Really?

Congrats on the win.

7. Its going on a damp injection course for my new house - its necessary for the mortgage to be accepted.
    And yep, I really do go to bingo - theres a very modern Mecca near to me and it is a great night out plus the wines dirt cheap!

8. I think Bingo sounds like fun.

Congrats on your winnings!

9. Congratulations - nice to have some good news to start the weekend.

10. Great news about your win [​IMG] I received a Le Creuset roasting tin and rack today, I entered a competition I read about on the cookery thread. I've never won anything before either!

11. Last week I won two books from Waterstones - both 'early release reads' - not yet published - I have to write a review for one of them... it was a great read too (read it when I was stuck on the couch with a nasty cold on Monday)... just about to start the other one this weekend...

12. Well done both of you!
    I put a tenner on cheekybingo.com and won £30 which ive withdrawn. Good day all round!
    (I sound like a right addict but im not...someone logged onto cheekybingo had been on there since 3.30am and spent £150 - get a job!!!)

13. My best ever win was 20ish years ago. Just a raffle for a Weber I thought. When I won I got a barbie alright. But also got $00s worth of vouchers for all kinds of food things (and other stuff as well, mainly a whole dozen bottles of wine). We had a fantastic dinner party with friends with all kinds of fancy expensive meats, breads ..... all normally well off our shopping list.
    So I won a party!

14. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

The last time I won anything was in a raffle about twenty years ago.
    It was a book about Scott of the Antarctic.
    I think I must have left it behind that night, because I've never seen it since.

15. impis

impis New commenter

impuce - I think you live near me!!

16. Im Nottingham impis - was it the big shiny new Mecca bingo that gave it away!?

17. impis

impis New commenter

Nottingham? Naa - not so close after all. LOL!
    There's a Mecca bingo hall at the end of my road - but we're about 50 miles from Nottingham, at least. Plus i'd heard that 'pay your bill ' thing on my way to work [not all of it, just where they were saying it was about to happen]. Must have been on a national radio station, rather than the local one i thought it was on.
    Congratulations on the win, anyway. Don't they pay your bills for a whole year? Pity! That really would be worth winning, wouldn't it! LOL!

18. It was on Gem FM (formerly heart) on the East Midlands version but they probably do that across the country with different presenters - unfortunately its only one bill they pay! Most of them were £100ish gas bills etc so I did quite well to get £420 out of them I reckon!

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've won and been runner up in photo contests. I sold the prize on eBay. I won £50 on the Walkers Crisps predict a rainy day for a tenner competition. I won a weekend in a five star hotel in Bath in a magazine competition, and I've also won a Kung Fu Panda rucksack and goodie bag ;-)

For a few months I tried one of those competition websites that list details of every competition going, and I entered anything and everything I could find. I didn't win a bloody thing - all I got from it was an e-mail box full of spam.

20. My short answer is, "No." [​IMG]
    However, if 'winning' can include 'not losing', then I'm in. [​IMG]
    For the first time in living memory, a letter arrives from HMRC. [​IMG]

Dear Mr Dink,
    You owe us £2000.00 in underpaid tax over the last 2 years. [​IMG]
    Yours etc,
    HMRC

Dr Dink retaliates with a 'tax error letter template' from her Guardian,
    the gist of which is...

Dear HMRC,
    It's your fault for not acting on the information you had on Mr Dink. [​IMG]
    Love and kisses,
    Dr Dink
    (pp Mr Dink)

Outcome?
    For the second time in living memory, a letter from HMRC.

Dear Mr Dink,
    After looking at our records, blah, blah, blah, I agree that
    you do not need to pay us £2000.00.
    Yours etc,
    HMRC (snowed under)
    www.youtube.com/watch?V=JjtcOpM2vzll