1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Winning that Teaching job!" Seminar on 19 November 2010

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TheoGriff, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The TES careers expert John Howson is running a half-day seminar designed to help you get a job. The seminar will be held in the TES central London offices next Friday afternoon, 19 November, but if you can't make it there you can connect remotely over the web.
    The seminar will cover:
    • How to write a good covering letter and application form
    • Advice on how to construct the best supporting statement
    • Guidance on how to succeed at the interview stage
    The seminar costs £50 (plus VAT) if attending in person or £40 (plus VAT) for remote access over the internet. You can contact Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more info.
    Register now at http://www.teaching.eventbrite.com to post a question in advance
    If you would like to be told about future seminars for team leaders, senior school leader posts or working in special education or the independent sector email the Careers Advice team at advice@tsleducation.com with the type of seminar you are interest in receiving details about.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The TES careers expert John Howson is running a half-day seminar designed to help you get a job. The seminar will be held in the TES central London offices next Friday afternoon, 19 November, but if you can't make it there you can connect remotely over the web.
    The seminar will cover:
    • How to write a good covering letter and application form
    • Advice on how to construct the best supporting statement
    • Guidance on how to succeed at the interview stage
    The seminar costs £50 (plus VAT) if attending in person or £40 (plus VAT) for remote access over the internet. You can contact Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more info.
    Register now at http://www.teaching.eventbrite.com to post a question in advance
    If you would like to be told about future seminars for team leaders, senior school leader posts or working in special education or the independent sector email the Careers Advice team at advice@tsleducation.com with the type of seminar you are interest in receiving details about.

3. Thanks for the information and I'm not being funny, but I for one am a supply teacher who gets little work due to the situation in schools at the moment and I for one cannot afford this type of luxury.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I understand perfectly your situation. It may seem a lot of money, but actually compared with other half-day Inset sessions it's pretty cheap. But when you are counting the pennies . . .
    However,what the Careers Advice team is hoping is that with this seminar, you will learn how to make an application that is successful in getting you a permanent job, so that you don't have to reply on supply any more, TimberWolf.
    Some of our (even more expensive, I'm afraid . . .) offerings have got good reviews from those posters who have used them:
    <h3>Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff! </h3><h3>Theo's 'One to One' careers service.... </h3>If, with this seminar, we can help a few more people to feel more confident and then actually Get That Job, it will be a good afternoon's work. An investment for a more secure future for people like you.
    I have a great deal of sympathy for Supply teachers. And, more importantly, a great deal of admiration. You do a job under difficult circumstances and learn a great many very useful skills whilst doing it.
    I always felt that Supply teachers made good appointees whenever I had a job going, precisely because of that.
    Best wishes

5. The seminar does sound useful (although pricey when every penny is being counted), but I'm currently doing long term supply and wouldn't want to ask for a day off to attend it.
    Any chance that future training could be based on a weekend or during school holidays when it is easier for supplies to take a day off without losing pay?
    Thanks for your supportive comments about supplies TheoGriff.
    I do feel so much more confident at handling anything that is thrown at me in the classroom (usually not physically!) due to supply experience.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I shall put that point about the timing to the team. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Good luck for work next week!

7. How utterly patronising! Most of us will have already obtained all the said info from Jocentreplus courses, unions, university careers guidance workshops, other expert online advice as gleaned from the numerous websites etc etc etc.
    However any tips for resisting and treating the effects of ageist and racist dubious and discriminatory employment practices, nepotism, parochialism, xenophobia commonly present in so many Devon and Cornwall schools and colleges?[​IMG]

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!
    Certainly wasn't my intention to be patronising, and looking back, can't see where I was. But I apologise if I've offended you.
    *must try harder not to be patronising unwittingly*
    However . . .
    There are two questions that spring to mind when I read what you say above.
    All that advice from JobCentres, unions, University Careers, websites, etc:
    a) was it advice from the horses's mouth? From people who are actually people who appoint teachers, who shortlist and select them? This is!
    b) has it worked?
    Now I don't want you to bite my head off, so I'll say no more!
    Yup!
    You are right in saying that many of these practices are, in fact, discriminatory and thus illegal. Not quite sure about the parochialism!
    But if you have proof of them affecting job appointment procedures you should contact your union pronto and get support from them.
    Trying to get a job in the South West is particularly hard going. The graveyard of ambition it used to be called. People got a job there and then sunk into lethargy, never moving on, just staying where they were, hogging the jobs. If they went for promotions, other posts, there would be adverts, movement, other people would have a chance to break in to the circle.
    So relatively few posts are advertised in the SW area as staff tend to stay put.
    So I can understand that it's difficult for you.

9. The real probem is that the words, "Supply Teacher," iin the present position box is sufficient for most schools to bin your application without reading further. That sort of attitude is reflected in many discussions, including one on opinion right now.

10. Pedigree. I get your frustration with the situation in the SW. We've got another 6 months and then another massive batch hit the job queues, with their chums/teaching connections, etc and you are probably foolish for continuing. It really is beyond hope. Theo is bang on with the assessment of how it is. Dead men's shoes and stagnation. The death of ambition... very true indeed. Get your feet under the table and you've got a nice easy number. No wonder we all want to be a part of it..... we love a nice walk on the cliffs, we love surfing and poking around in nature, we like going home at 3.00, earning a lot more than the regional average, big holidays, it really is the magic bullet, the holy grail. Hence the situation is so. Would you give up the goose with the golden egg? No. You have a choice here, move elsewhere, do something else which makes money or get so damn good at your job doing something or other..... perhaps being a CS that you get noticed and the grapevine works in your favour.

I like the fact that someone is offering a price on potential success...... It's a reminder of how entreprenurial spirit and capitalism thrive in left leaning deserts. lol.

I could save you a lot of money by suggesting you just get your act together and stop being so idle. There is next to no hope of getting an job in the SW, unless you are prepared to run the Camborne Gauntlet.... which reminds me, it's about time that Camborne had ALL of their jobs advertised again, as they seem to every time. I'm not sure why, but it can't be THAT BAD!!!!!!

Seriously, get a fricking job, rather than strangling yourselves on the stifling dribble of supply

You know it makes sense

11. Seriously you want to have a dig at Camborne? I've taught here for the last 6 years and love it and the students. The interview is tough ...so it means i'm better than the rest as I got appointed. I have the stamina and the skills to ensure that the job I do is at the best standard possible. I'm not able to sit back and rest on my laurels, surf all day and just continue till I die in post. We advertise lots? yup we do. But have you asked us how many we appoint? It's not the number of adverts that you should think about but the fact that the standards and expectations here are demanding and high and we don't appoint if you aren't good enough. You want to prove what you have? then try it here, otherwise take the easy life. As for getting a job in the SW .... why should we want all others to move here? The demands in the job are as great here as else where and we have quality staff here why look elsewhere? If you are good enough and can prove it then you should be here but if you're not better than what we have then what's the point?

12. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I'd bloody hope not. Is this true? I'm apply for jobs and have had nothing yet but I hoped it wasn't down to my supply work - I've been mentioning the skills my supply work has given me.

On the subject of the seminar, I might go except it'd cost me nearly that much to get down to London. How about one or two of these seminars happening in Manchester or somewhere in the north west?