1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winning that teaching job Seminar - Manchester

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TES_Community, Feb 3, 2011.

1. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Are you planning to apply for a new job soon?
    So are thousands of others.....
    Half day seminar will include:
    • Information on how to write a good covering letter, personal statement and application form
    • Guidance on how to succeed at the interview stage
    • Advice on how to write an Executive Summary
    The three 45 minute sessions will each be led by an education professional with experience of advising teachers how to find and win teaching posts.
    £55 including VAT and registration fee
    Manchester - Saturday, 5th March - www.tesweekendworkshop14.eventbrite.com

2. Unfortunatly I feel the need to complain about the quality and cost of this event which I attended earlier. Please can you tell me the contact details for the people I need to get in touch with. Thank you.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Dear Nat
    You have started a thread commenting on this seminar on the Career Clinic Forum. I am afraid that at the time that you posted your request above for contact details (weren't they on the handout or the printed leaflet that you were given? I thought that they were - I'm sorry if your copy was a rogue one), all those involved in the Manchester seminar were on the train back to London, and now have the day off.
    I note your comment about the cost of the event. On the other thread you point out that some other people there were paying less than you did. I understand that at this Manchester conference, some of the attendees were PGCE students from the hosting institution, and therefore had a reduced rate fee. Normal practice, I'm afraid.
    I can well understand that you would have liked to have the same reduction, but you didn't comply as you were not a PGCE student at that institution. When events take place at your Uni, then if you are still on the PGCE there, you may be entitled to a reduced fee.
    As for the quality of the event - just ask those who have been at similar ones:

I posted on your other thread, but I'll repeat it here, just in case you haven't seen it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am sorry that you feel that you had a disappointing experience. That's not what we want.
    I wasn't there myself so I cannot comment on yesterday's seminar itself.
    However, the feedback from other seminars has been extremely positive - always Good or Excellent I seem to remember, although I don't have the statistics to hand, and everybody said they would recommend them to others.
    I am sure that Prof John Howson will answer you once he gets back to his desk.
    P.S. - £55 incl VAT is not expensive actually, for a half-day Inset; this is in fact very reasonable. You'll see here http://www.lighthouse.tv/ that the standard price is £225 plus VAT, i.e. £270. So £55 for a half day is a bargain!
    Best wishes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am really sorry that you didn't find the seminar met your expectations. However, here is the view of someone who came to the previous one:
    Dear Theo,
    I was at your TES career clinic last Friday, 25th Feb and you may recall I was being interviewed today for a maternity post in Food Tech, even though I am a science teacher by training.
    I spent time going over what you taught us at the clinic, determined to put it to good practice today.
    I felt more confident in my interview than I have for some time now, and was pleased with my performance.
    Although I wasn't appointed I received excellent feedback and was told I interviewed well, very well, and my answers were spot on! I had quite lengthy feedback and fully understand why the other candidate was selected, but I feel very positive and empowered after my performance in front of the panel and the feedback I was given.
    Thank you for your help and I am sure it won't be long before I do get offered a post, and hopefully a permanent one, not just maternity cover.
    Dear Theo, I didn't get the job but..........
    The feedback from the school was that she interviewed very well - and she attributes it to what she had been taught at the seminar. So for her - and for everyone else whose evaluation form I've seen - it was a very useful experience.
    Again, I'm sorry that you had to pay the going rate, whereas some people had the reduced fee. It happens to me quite often when I go on an EasyJet flight - everyone else seems to have got a better bargain!
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!