1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winnie the witch mini literacy topic/ project year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jwhite1985, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am wanting to do a mini project on Winnie the Witch with my year 2 class, as this is the character they will be using for the character description for the short writing task.
    We haven't looked at this character or author before so really want to imerse the children in the charcater and her stories. I have been asked to do this character by SLT but i am really finding it hard to think of lots of fun but productive ideas.

Any ideas will be greatfully received.

Thank you in advance

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

Have you seen the official website?
    http://www.winnie-the-witch.com/flash.php
    Could you have a dress up day when they all come as either Winnie or a wizard?
    Hot seating - either you in role as Winnie or children
    You could make large Winnie's - write describing words around her describing how she looks, hang sentences below her describing what she is like as a character. Add speech bubble (what might she say?), thought bubble (what might she be thinking?), heart (how is she feeling) - each group could do Winnie from a different story or do Winnie at different stages of the same story.
    Thought tracking - use emotions fans and children hold up how Winnie is feeling as you read the story - discuss key emotions eg Why do you think she is sad here etc
    Character pockets - decide what Winnie would always have in her pockets and why!
    Set up Winnie's house as role play.
    Writing magic spells - what might Winnie write spells for?
    Hope these are useful - I've just focused on character work as I only know a couple of stories!

3. Thank you so much, lots of wonderful ideas!

4. Thanks for your ideas!

Any other ideas welcome - fingers crossed they will be able to write a good character description for their sats.