1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winni1's Art and Music of the Week -Ideas Bank

Discussion in 'Primary' started by winni1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. winni1

winni1 New commenter

I don't see why not.
    On another point, my SMT (in their wisdom?) decided not to adopt this as a whole school thing...
    I am sure you can all guess my thoughts so I was wondering your opinions on the matter, especially if you are on a leadership team?

2. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Woah! That's a great tip! I have a spanking new HT this year who isn't afraid to do the right thing so now we have a weekly Arts Assembly which I take and music in and out of all other gatherings so I am chuffed.
    How's everyone else getting on?

3. yes please

4. Hi Winn! All still going well at my school. Art and Music is now an established 20 minute slot on Friday before end of school. Kids enjoy it and are sad to miss it - even had positive comments from parents about it. Had a fantastic, dancing in the aisles, response so far to, Heard it thru the Grapevine, Lucy in the Sky and Made of Stone (Stone Roses). They mostly weren't keen on the classical and opera (predictably!) The art has really surprised me. They see things I'd never thought of - some found 'Starry Night' by Van Gogh slightly sinister! Most of them didn't like the Banksy picture and I think they are just starting to think about what they really want from a picture. Some were astonished by the question about whether a painting had to look like the object it was depicting in order to be 'good'! Am loving it in short!

5. My children love it still (Y5) although we do not find time every week, and we will alternate art and music. We also have a motto/saying of the week and a prayer of the week, all up on a board in the classroom. Needless to say, these are not changed every week! At least despite the demands of the curriculum, and the fact that I only teach mornings, we are still keeping it going.
    I ahve been so impressed with the children's comments. We had the mastermind music last week - approaching menace - and there were some very deep comments about it. They are open to different influences, and are learning not just to 'like' 'hate' but to justify their opinions. They all know it is ok not to like something as long as they justify it and don't criticise the views of others - all great life skills. If only they carried it over into playtime!

I am so grateful to you all for your inspiration, and to Winnie who started it all, have a virtual glass of frascati on me *clink*

6. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Yey! I am really pleased that it is working for you all in various forms. I have a selection of power points which I will load into the resources section as soon as I have put my 2 year old to bed!

7. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Here they are chaps! A load of Powerpoints that I've used in whole school assembly. Last year I did this in isolation but now, thanks to a fabby HT, I am able to tease the brains of 400 plus children a week with this stuff! I have recently let the children suggest pieces of art and music as long as they can explain why they think it should be selelcted.
    It has been outstandingly good because they are sitting down with family and researching before bringing things in. I have heard children comparing their choices on the way down the corridor to my room and, whoever's work is picked that week has to stand up and explain to the rest of the school. I thought this would throw them, especially the younger ones, but it hasn't. In fact all the children so far have been great advocates for their pieces and willing to answer challenges from the 'audience.' They look forward to Tuesday mornings and are loving it! (Phew!)
    We are waiting for Ofsted, so if they sit in on one of these events I'll let you know what the official line is.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6036093&requestAction=add
    Will be adding more very soon. Keep up your good work!

8. winni1

winni1 New commenter

The powerpoints are proving very popular! We are still waiting for Ofsted so I can't tell you what they think yet...
    How is it going for everyone? My children are now suggesting art and music so it is really interesting. We had loads of fun with it as they know their choice of music will be played all week and they get house points if I don't know the artist or piece of music.
    This goes back to the thing I think I said at the very start of this about empowering children by showing them you don't know everything and they can teach you from time to time. Clealy you have to have the guts to expose and exploit this though!
    We send the selections out on the weekly newsletter and I too have had parents commenting and even sending in lists of ideas for me.
    Hope everyone else is having as much joy. Let me know!

9. Hi Milliebear,

I'm starting my NQT year in September in Year 1 and would really love to get my hands on this resource...could you email it to sgp_2202@hotmail.com? Massive thanks!

Sarah

10. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Spoke too soon!!!!!!! Guess who's in tomorrow and Thurs and guess who's doing Arts Assembly? I'll let you know, wish me luck![​IMG]

11. winni1

winni1 New commenter

OUTSTANDING!!!! That's what Ofsted thought of Art and Music of the week. Inspirational and one of the best assemblies he's ever seen apparently. PHEW [​IMG]

12. likegoodwine

likegoodwine New commenter

Came back to this thread this summer because I want to try it with my year 3 this summer. Congratulations on the Outstanding!

13. likegoodwine

likegoodwine New commenter

Well, not this summer I mean in September!

14. Thanks winni1 for starting this and for likegoodwine for bringing it to my attention - wasnt on here last summer so really good to get cracking again!

15. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Thanks chaps! Glad to see that it is still working in various forms for you. The Death Eaters couldn't get enough of it so I feel pretty good about putting my neck on the line last year with my new boss. They said all sorts of lovely things about it and even checked it out on here! I told them this was one of the ways we shared best practice and they told me the following day they'd looked it up... Apparently "If people make claims like that we have to check they're not lying." As long as the kids (and staff [​IMG] ) are learning something new, who cares?
    Will be putting up my next batch of ppts in the next week or so. Good luck with it next year peeps and keep me posted!

16. Oh Milliebear is there any chance i could have a copy of your super powerpoint too please

stevarnam@hotmail.com

Thankyou so much!

17. winni1

winni1 New commenter

WHOA! That's amazing! Well done you. I have loads more ppts to add to my resources and might even get round to doing it this hol... Feel free to use and abuse as much as you like.
    Congratulations on the job!
    Fi x

18. Glad this is all continuing adn spreading[​IMG] as i loved this thread

19. Yey!! Thank you!
    Just had a PD day and started planning for Sept - we are definitely going to do 'music of the week' - We have PE before lunch which gives us a 'random' 20 minutes. PERFECT - chn listen to music while changing before and after PE, then discussion time.
    PING!

20. winni1

winni1 New commenter

[​IMG] Yeay! It's a tiny revolution!