1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winni1's Art and Music of the Week -Ideas Bank

Discussion in 'Primary' started by winni1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. I'm just boosting this thread up as I think it's a fantastic idea which I am looking forward to using in September. Keep adding your music and art ideas!!!! [​IMG]

2. gruffaloschild

gruffaloschild New commenter

I just found this topic and think it is a brilliant idea. I am definitely going to use this idea with my class. Just thought I would bump it up again. The PPT is great as well. Thank you.

3. just to say i am loving the ideas [​IMG]and cant wait to give them ago!! Thank you to everyone so far who had shared their PPT's

4. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Forgot to say earlier on that I try and display a copy of the art in the window so the parents know what we are going on about and also to catch those who don't have the net at home and are not willing/able to get on the free computers at the library!
    Don't forget this thread when you start back. It will come into its own when we have more experiences to share! Good luck for the new term people xx

5. Just wanted to say thank you to Winni for the great idea and also to Em who introduced Spotify... It's fantastic and am slightly addicted now! Have spent a happy afternoon choosing my music of the week for the first half term and I am feeling rather excited about the whole thing!. (Now just need to plan all the other subjects...) Here is what I have chosen...
    Shostakovich – polka from ballet suite 2
    Mozart – Papageno’s song from the Magic Flute
    Lemon jelly – nice weather for ducks
    Debussy – Golliwogs cake walk (with a little chat about PC lol!)
    Ladysmith black mambazo –
    Bob Marley – the sun is shining
    Thanks again both! Bit more scared of the art (being a musician type myself) but I'll give it a go! x x

6. The Coasters - Yakety Yak (make sure it's not a rubbish re-record)
    Amadou & Mariam - La Realitie
    Glen Miller - In the mood
    Jeff Wayne - Eve of the war
    Cornelius - Count five or six
    The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
    Os Mutantes - A Minha Menina

I'm having such fun choosing songs for this I'm still not dressed!

7. I'm much more comfortable with the art. Its easier if you remember that everyone has a valid opinion, which is neither right necessarily nor wrong - possibly just different to yours/someone else's!
    I'm looking for some help with the music. Other than playing it and looking at the lyrics, perhaps writing a verse of their own or changing the current lyrics, what else do you plan with your music for the week?

8. (I have Y2) I think I will ask things like...
    How long ago do you think this was written? Why?
    What does the music make you think of? or Can you see any pictures in your head?
    Move around to the music - does it make you want to skip, jump, sway?
    What do you think this music is for? (e.g. dancing, a lullaby)
    What instruments can you hear?
    Listen out for this tune again later in the music
    Which is your favourite part?
    And then tell them about the composer, when it was written, and if there was a particular story or purpose for it.
    Quite a lot of the music I chose so far doesn't have lyrics. I think we will just listen, talk about it and then play at any opportunity like changing for PE and maybe as they come in in the morning. Perhaps sometimes give the children art materials and ask them to draw what comes into their head while they are listening?
    I hope that is helpful x

9. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and the powerpoints. This is a fantastic thrread with lots of inspiration.

10. winni1

winni1 New commenter

To be honest Toekat I don't 'plan' anything as such. I have a few general questions I use to get them thinking about the piece but I like to give them the chance to talk freely about it. I actively encourage opinions and we have had some brilliant debates about the merits of x piece of music or composer over y.
    You can't plan for it, you just have to give them the freedom and trust the force... I love to work like this but it is always a bit risky. However, (and I keep saying this on here,) it doesn't matter if you are not that confident or clued up on your pieces. It is massively powerful for the children to see you learning with them and not knowing all the answers.
    Whatever you do will be brilly!

11. The only other thing I can think of would be using youtube for some of the music pieces (maybe after you have discussed it by just listening to it). I think this would be particularly useful if you are thinking about looking at gospel music.
    From my own experience in a community choir (very The Choir... we did it first!) I just couldn't comprehend just how many voices there are in some of the pieces until I saw it with my own eyes! It is amazing to see everyone lined up and really enjoying themselves.
    Just think it has the potential to add extra depth to some of the songs - also, there are no restrictions to viewing, but I would make sure you check that there are no dodgy advertisements on screen (by going to full screen) before showing to the children... I'm not sure how positive a message would be if accompanied by "how I lost 10 stone in a week"

12. 2 Wednesdays down, 2 pieces of art and 2 pieces of Music shared, and it is all going very well - thank you so much for the idea. Music so far was Mole by Barry Booth (lyrics Michael Palin) and Here Comes the Sun (Beatles). Next week Adiemus! Art - Snowstorm by Turner and this year's National Portrait competition winner. I have been very impressed by how well the year 5s have articulated their thoughts and responses to all. I printed some prompt qqs onto large stickers and we put them in the back of their morning books, and I let them chat to each other about their responses then pick children randomly using lolly sticks at first, then choose some hands up. They have all contributed, even those 'lolly sticked' into doing it. Thank you so much Winni! I have also added thought for the week (saying, motto or similar) and prayer for the week (church school). I started them off with celtic blessing, and the children are going to find or write their own prayers, one chosen each week. And so solves my class worship once a week - we discuss the prayer that the pupil chose or wrote. How are the rest of you getting on with it?

13. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Glad to hear it is going so well rvelvet! I am pleased that you are finding it easy to use and fit in to your week. I have started with Matisse's Snail and Nice Weather for Ducks by Lemon Jelly. Like you I have been thrillied with the response from my class (Y1.)
    It just goes to prove that children are more that capable of freedom of thought, if you have the guts to take a risk and give them the chance to do it! Keep it up everyone!

14. glad its going well for people

15. Wow! This is a fantastic thread - I can't wait to try this out with my Primary 2s. At the start of the term I did a similar thing using the Dr Seuss book "My Many Coloured Days", I highly recommend you check it out. It's a wonderful book that was printed after he died and instead of illustrating it himself he requested that real artists be commisioned to create paintings for it. It explores feelings through colours and is a wonderful link to PSHE. I also linked it to music by creating a CD of tracks that had different moods or feelings and got the children to match these up to the feelings in the book. Their response was amazing! Here are some of the tracks I used and the responses they gave me:
    Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata: "really sad"
    Rimsky Korsakov - Flight of the Bumblebee: "it sounds like someone is rushing around" "It sounds fun and happy", "It sounds like a swarm of bees" :)
    Erik Satie - Gnossiennes No 1: "creepy and a wee bit scary"
    Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow & It's a Wonderful Life: "happy and relaxed, like its someone lying on a beach on holiday"
    My favourite response though was to John Williamss - Flying (The ET theme) when one boy said "Wow, if you close your eyes it sounds like you're flying!"
    I'll definitely be making a regular thing in my class :) Keep the ideas coming!!

16. Mine were divided on whether they liked a Magritte surrealist painting, sang along to Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World (with several going home and digging out more songs by him), were astonished that Monet had painted the Houses of Parliament, and LOVED Tubular Bells! Excellent stuff!

17. Loved this thread & started writing down ideas on the train the other day. I will find my list & add to this....
    I also started thinking about famous buildings/monuments. However I'm not sure how this will lead to discussion, other than finding out factual information. I just thought it added to the cultural experience - travel! Let me know what you think! x

18. Just wanted to add my two-penn'orth and add my thanks to winni1 for starting this! I've started art of the week and music of the week with my year 1 class and I'm loving it! We've so far looked at Irises by Van Gogh (best response: I think it was painted by a lady cos it's so neat!!)and Duke Ellington's Take the A Train, and this week we're looking at Andy Goldsworthy's The Wall that went for a Walk, and listening to Sigur Ros 'Með Blóðnasir'
    But the best thing, and the reason I'm posting here, is that my Headteacher has taken the idea and is running with it! He's asked me to produce a list of composers and relevant music for the entire school, as he wants each class to have a 'Composer of the Month' and we'll play the music in assemblies, in class, in the school foyer, and then have the discussion element of it in class too. So big thank you for giving me the inspiration and getting the whole school involved!!

19. winni1

winni1 New commenter

[​IMG]

Wow! I am so chuffed that my little suggestion is having such an impact! I am also hoping that my new HT will run with it throughout the school. We have been talking about playing tunes in the corridors e.t.c. and making books about the featured artists using the children's work and putting them about the place.Fingers crossed our leadership team have enough bite to go with it. Who knows, but feel free to push for it in your settings!
    Loving the remark that 'Irises' was painted by a lady because it is so neat! Priceless! Keep it up people, I swear to you that your children will write better and their thinking skills will be sharper. Open the windows and let in the light!

20. Thanks for starting it Winni.
    Can I just ask where people find themselves re copyright? I was putting the pictures onto our class page on Fronter [trying to get them accessing it at home] but have now been told I can't put the pictures on there because of the copyright.
    I assume I can still show them on the white-board when they come into class?
    KC