1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winni1's Art and Music of the Week -Ideas Bank

Discussion in 'Primary' started by winni1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Thought it was time to stop taking over rainbow flowers wonderful thread and start one of my own for Art and Music of the Week. Obviously you can look at my site www.mrsroachsclass.co.uk for a starting point but I know you lot are equally creative so lets pool our ideas and ban dull teaching in our rooms!
    Feel free to post useful book titles, tracks or art work you like. If you're off to an exhibition then tell us about it and if you have any questions about Art and Music of the week then post them here and I'll see if I can answer them.
    Come on, start the creative juices flowing in your classroom!
    Winni1

2. Thought it was time to stop taking over rainbow flowers wonderful thread and start one of my own for Art and Music of the Week. Obviously you can look at my site www.mrsroachsclass.co.uk for a starting point but I know you lot are equally creative so lets pool our ideas and ban dull teaching in our rooms!
    Feel free to post useful book titles, tracks or art work you like. If you're off to an exhibition then tell us about it and if you have any questions about Art and Music of the week then post them here and I'll see if I can answer them.
    Come on, start the creative juices flowing in your classroom!
    Winni1

3. deeley

deeley New commenter

music - paul simon either graceland or rhythm of the saints, or ladysmith black mumbazo...

4. deeley

deeley New commenter

art - andy goldsworthy

5. We had The Wall That Went for a Walk by him last year. It inspired my class to make walls of their own out of lego. Might not have this effect on older kids though and probably best because I kept tripping over the B***** erm lovely things! The walls I mean not the kids!

6. deeley

deeley New commenter

7. What about Frieda Kahlo, Renior, Andy Warhol, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore and Picasso?
    Like the Paul Simon idea what about- You can call me Al?
    Bob Marley- Three Little Birds
    Eva Cassidy- Wade in the Water
    Ella Fitzgerald- Summertime
    Louis Armstrong- What a wonderful world
    Mozart- Adagio in E major
    Fantasia
    O'Fortuna
    Flight of the Bumble Bee

Hmmm will think of some more xx

8. Meant to add there is a fab site called Spotify which has basically any song you can think of on it (apart from my old man said follow the van- my mother-in-laws request[​IMG])
    www.spotify.com
    Its a live streaming site so although you cant save and upload songs you can listen to them within seconds of typing the name in!
    Only thing is unless you pay you get 30sec ads for songs, bands etc every 5 songs or so which isnt too bad and is bearable in my opinion for the whole library of songs they offer!
    I think its fab anyway and I am not on commision hehe!
    Em xx

9. Brilliant resource to suggest. Thanks fro that!
    Winni1

10. Thanks so much Winni - I am definitely doing this! Here's my two pennorth for the music in addition to the fab suggestions already stolen from here:

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Close Encounters – John
    Williams

Star Wars – John Williams

Madame Butterfly Aria (Un bel
    di vedremo)

Phantom of the Opera

The Entertainer – Scott Joplin

Wipeout

That’ll be the Day – Buddy Holly

Here Comes the Sun – Beatles

1812 Overture: Finale –
    Tchiakovsky

The Sun Aint Gonna Shine
    Anymore – Walker Brothers

He Aint Heavy – The Hollies

Nessun Dorma (Turandot) –
    Puccini

Greensleaves

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Nutcracker) – Tchiakovsky

William Tell Overture
    (Finale) – Rossini

First Time Ever I Saw Your
    Face – Roberta Flack

Something Inside So Strong –
    Labi Siffre

One Love – Bob Marley

Amazing Grace – Soweto Gospel Choir

11. Nice one milliebear!
    I didn't have any gospel last year so thanks for the idea. Not sure why I didn't cos I managed to get quite a lot of other musical styles in but, hey ho, none of us are perfect! That is why I think this thread is a good idea.

12. I am such a firm fan of this idea thatI have spent part of this afternoon making my own powerpoint for art of the week- enough pictures for up to christmas!
    May have already been suggested but David Hockney may be a nice one to look at.

13. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Clairemcn- with the risk of sounding cheeky would it be possible for you to put your powerpoint in the resource bank as it sounds great! Thank you very much

14. Brilliant! This is exactly what I was hoping for! Please do post it up on the resource bank because, like my site, people might use it as a whole or as a starting point.
    Winni1[​IMG]

15. Ive also done a powerpoint based on first reading of this idea so that school staff can easily access stuff without any need to plan or prepare just having a few uploading problems at moment will do it as soon as can

16. Thanks bluerose [​IMG]
    What sort of stuff did you decide to put in then?
    winni1

17. Love it! We do music of the week for the whole school assembly...dread when its coming to my turn, definatley hotlisting this thread! my mind is blank at the mo but when I remember some of the good ones we've had i'll add them....

ooh someone did Starry starry night by Don McClean a while ago to go alongside their art.

18. That's because it fits in well with Van Gough's work.
    Don't dread it my friend, enjoy the chance to stretch some minds (and maybe I don't mean the children...) My advice would be to go for something really out there or a familiar piece presented in an unfamiliar way. What about Bill Bailey's Dr.Who theme as piano jazz? Will find the link and post it up in a bit.
    Winni1

19. I love this thread, lots of ideas. I have often struggled when selecting music for whole school assembly (the going in coming out bits) but I think I will go down this route and use lots of different styles. Am sure lots of you have used this but as it has not been mentioned thought I'd throw in The National gallery and their Take One Picture prog. The website (www.takeonepicture.org) is great. If you go to 'the picture' then 'previous pictures' the last few years ones are there with lots of good info. I did an Arts Week with whole school on The Umbrellas this year and it was great - if you've not been on badger your heads to get you on the course (they run three a year) as it is fab, very inspiring - and a great day out!!