1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Winging it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nick909, Jan 24, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What is this?

2. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

"Winging it", or teaching without a lesson plan because it's all in your head, or going off lesson plan because that's where the students take you, it's all great and being able to go without a formal lesson plan can save you some precious time.

But the problem is you have to be sharp and quick witted and totally on your game to pull it off well. When you're exhausted because of all the hours you're spending on the pointless stuff, like the endless meetings or the multiicoloured marking, it's much harder to think on your feet.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's just reading some bits on a spreadsheet, a basic skill where you really need to to identify the correct cell/s, which precedes a lot of exam questions in, say, maths or IT, I guess maybe geography, social sciences too.
    What OP is suggesting is the equivalent of, say, teaching specific vocabulary in a Lit. lesson before actually reading an extract from a book. It's common sense that some classes or individuals require this targeted practice, and therefore commendable for insight into the kids, rather than poor in terms of teaching.

But also "vlookup" is a handy bypass of the modbots on here.

border_walker likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I use spreadsheets for my marking so I probably do this all the time. Never heard of it referred to that way.

Also been told not to show spreadsheets to pupils as it causes anxiety. Also been told not to give boys work marks as they find it demoralising.

Ah well... Brave New World.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Reminds me of my grandson, who, when he was five, told his mum "I think I'm going to win school."

I rarely winged it in the last ten or so years of teaching although when I started in 1972 planning and preparation were rare things- but "the past is a foreign country" was never more applicable than to the world of education.
    Is it a gender thing? Or is there a sweet spot between inexperience and decrepitude when any teacher should be able to grab an opportunity out of the air and be sure the whole class is gaining something?

6. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

https://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/vlookup.php

lanokia likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well it's a more specific function of excel, relating to columnar presentation and formulae, hence having its own name.
    Edit-posted same as previous oops

lanokia likes this.