1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wine

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Mar 6, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Wine...I love it.
    I am not a wine snob, but I do know and understand wines.
    Having said that, I was shocked to find the lady in front of me in the supermarket recently buying Lambrini! [​IMG]
    I enjoy wine tastings, like to match wine to my food when giving dinner parties, and plan to taste Petrus before I die.
    Any thoughts on this?

*would post more but a little squiffy after a bottle of chilled Joseph Perrier fizz and a rather quaffable pinot noir with my roast lamb*

2. BelleDuJour

Wine...I love it.
    I am not a wine snob, but I do know and understand wines.
    Having said that, I was shocked to find the lady in front of me in the supermarket recently buying Lambrini! [​IMG]
    I enjoy wine tastings, like to match wine to my food when giving dinner parties, and plan to taste Petrus before I die.
    Any thoughts on this?

*would post more but a little squiffy after a bottle of chilled Joseph Perrier fizz and a rather quaffable pinot noir with my roast lamb*

3. I too know wines, but I have to say that the older I get the less fussy I get.
    C'est buvable, c'est pas buvable......that is my philosophy!
    Petrus.....wonderful. You are in for a treat Belle.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I would be shocked too, but pleased as it would mean more of the good stuff left for the likes of you and I.

Maybe her taste buds haven't developed, she probably drinks Blue Nun on special occasions!

5. BelleDuJour

I do hope so.
    My best at present is a premier cru white burgundy I paid almost £200 for. Am just waiting to 'pop the cork'....a nice sumer afternoon beckons.
    Having said that, I always think you can get a very drinkable wine for under £5 a bottle, if you know what to look for and it is on offer.
    *Belle, after a bottle of chilled Jospeh Perrier fizz, a very drinkable pinot noir and now sampling last year's sloe gin...hic*

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I draw the line at Lambrini, but I'm surprisingly fond of Co-op Cava (about a fiver), which always gets good reviews when the papers are looking at cut-price fizz.
    Finally tried Prosecco for the first time last month and was very taken with it. Strictly for high days and holidays now I'm on a budget though.

7. BelleDuJour

I love prosecco but consider it a bit of a summer tipple, and it is, of course, the only fizz to make a proper bellini with.
    Some cava is every bit as good as champagne but I like to use cava to make kir royale or, add a tot of chambord and a fresh raspberry to make...ermm....a nice drinky poo! [​IMG]

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Mmmmmm - kir royale!! Now you're talking. [​IMG]
    Creme de cassis is great. Alcoholic Ribena. [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had some Petrus at a friend;'s house a couple of years ago: a complete waste as I really do not like red wine!!

Prosecco: I agree - a summer fizz, esp + peach juice (c/o Lidl) to make a Bellini!
    I like Kir, too .. and also "champagne" with crème de mûres or crème de pêches.
    My o/h like Kir Cardinal, which is Cassis in red burgundy - the only way I can drink Beaujolais Nouveau (too thin otherwise), which I often get given for my birthday (16 November)!

10. BelleDuJour

At a minimum of £500 a bottle I'd agree.....a completr waste if you do not like red wine!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yup - he was trying to impress and failed utterly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. BelleDuJour

Would have impressed me! [​IMG]

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Dang! I want some friends like that. [​IMG]

14. Ridiculous: you can carpet a room for less and I like red wine!!

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

He already knew I don't drink Red - an attempt to prove my taste was price-based I think
    I really did not like it; it epitomised everything I do not like about Red: deep, dark, lush.. = screaming headache!

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm not a baked bean eater, but I think I would plump for a new crisp white to counteract the cloying sweetness of the claggy sauce.

17. Cloudy Bay? Yup. SB of choice when we're out for a meal.

18. BelleDuJour

Cloudy Bay pinot noir is also on my list of absolute faves! [​IMG]