1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Windows advice, please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florian gassmann, Jul 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No, nothing to do with Microsoft.

We have record night-time temperatures forecast for tonight, so all windows are already open. However, many are Velux windows and violent storms are forecast for around 3am.

Do I shut the windows and nearly suffocate at bedtime, leave them open and risk an almost certain flood, or set the alarm for 2.45am ? :(

2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

If you can get back to sleep quite easily, then set the alarm for 2.15am and close the windows then.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Do you have a loft hatch?

On the assumption you don't have squirrels or bats up there, open the loft hatch six inches, leave the trickle vents on the downstairs windows open and you should (assuming the loft is properly vented) get a good up-flow of air as the hot air rises and is vented out.

mathsmutt and needabreak like this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Open the back door, and any downstairs windows, and open the loft like Nomad says

Should help

I did it last night and slept fine.

My lurchers slept outside

5. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

But in order to get proper advice, florian, we need the address, a detailed floorplan of your house, how may people live in it, if you have dog and the keys to your safe ;)

mathsmutt, May2, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You can get Velux windows with rain sensors, so the problem doesn't arise!

7. florian gassmann

No, we had a loft conversion when we purchased the place, so all we have is an opening roof light. I'm not sure how far I can risk leaving it open during a storm as water would land on the carpet of the landing below:

upload_2019-7-23_9-59-49.jpeg

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I would leave it open an inch or so at least. Does the sound of heavy rain wake you up? That would be ideal as you could then get out of bed, close the windows and then sleep the sleep of the smug.
    We have such a window in our conservatory, which is wonderful as it prevents all the hot air from staying in there (at least, it helps) and we leave it open unless there is a really violent storm. but there are tiles underneath and no furniture, just a plant or two which can cope with rain. You may sleep beneath the velux, so if the rain pours in you'll wake up.
    @FrankWolley the rain sensors are really good, but sometimes they are a bit over sensitive. They can close the window in a tiny spot of rain and then the temperature shoots up and they won't re-open themselves, sadly. I think you can get ones which react to internal temperature as well. I wonder if you can get one which does both?

mathsmutt likes this.
  9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

That variety of window I would not leave open. Depends upon the angle and direction of any rain but my feeling is close it down to a minimum. Runoff from the roof should not be a problem but personally would suffer rather and risk a flood if it's a heavy downpour.

mathsmutt and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

A bit of tarpaulin/plastic sheeting or some large plastic containers might solve the problem of potential water damage to the carpet.

knitone and mathsmutt like this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Move your bed so that your head is directly under the open Velux.

12. florian gassmann

:D

Mrs G wants us to go into Burford to buy an air conditioner, but I've said it is too hot for shopping (actually I resent spending money on electrical equipment that only gets used once or twice a year and has to be stored the rest of the time).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see what the temperature is like at bedtime and then decide whether to set the alarm for the early hours.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Leave the cutlery drawer open and put a tea towel over the knives.

14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Get a fan.

15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We have an oscillating Dyson fan. Has a timer. It's about a metre tall. Also open windows in evening and keep curtains shut in the day.

mathsmutt likes this.
  16. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

turn it off and on again

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'd leave it open with a bucket underneath. But failing that, I'd shut it at bedtime to give the most benefit.

My son refuses to open his velux windows because 'bugs will come in'. He's away for two nights so I've opened them all up to let the heat out and suck fresh air through the house. At least our house is old, so it's cool in the summer, and also in the winter...

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Same.

Even though i only open windows a few inches wide in the summer, the flies still manage to get in. Noisy *******!!

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

:rolleyes: that was f e c k e r s

mathsmutt likes this.
  20. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I'm a big fan of having a fan. Invest in several for around the house because for the few days you need them in the UK, you'll be glad you bought them.

Get it online, could be with you by Thursday and you'll be able to sleep with your windows closed.

mathsmutt likes this.