1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by fredhaise, Mar 2, 2019.

1. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

Hi all,

I have just picked up a secondhand PC as my previous one had been running slow/crashing.

It is quite a modest machine: i5 4gb RAM etc. I'm guessing 6-7 years old. However this is still better than the one it is replacing which a few years ago I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 at no cost. I can't remember, was that a short-term launch offer? because even though this 'new' PC is flying I that is mainly cos it's clean & I would like to move to Win 10 as I have got so used to it.

Can someone quickly outline my Windows upgrade options, money is too tight to mention!

In addition, around 2016 there was a Microsoft offer on Office 2016 for educators of around £10 which I took advantage of. How can I move my Office 2016 from my old pc to this newer one hopefully without paying again?

2. srjsrj

srjsrj New commenter

3. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

Many thanks, I followed your advice and it worked (Win 10) will try the Office thing at the weekend.

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I hated Windows 10 when it came out, after trying it for a few weeks after upgrading from Windows 7. The privacy issues with 10 are not to be underestimated and are well documented, if you have favourite software, be prepared to have to find alternatives and finding things in 10 is a nightmare compared to 7. I’ve been weening myself off 7 slowly by using a Chromebook more and more in the last 18 months and am nearly there, except for film editing and sound production, where Fruity Loops still needs Windows.