1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 update :(

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Sep 20, 2015.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I've had this "update available" thing on the bottom bar for ages so today, like an idiot, I clicked update. Laptop now comp!etely nonfunctional. Won't log onto internet (am on phone); tells me I can just uninstall but if I reinstall 7 ( which was a school disc from a place I no longer work at) I'll lose all my personal data.

Now I can accept myself as a computer ignoramus but I'm pretty sure I'm the majority in this. So does MS have no responsibility for misleading people into thinking they are just updating something that won't cause their PC/laptop to totally die on them?

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I had something similar happen on my Windows 8.1 machine. The update required a reboot, but then it got stuck as it was restarting.

Something they introduced with Windows 8 was the ability to restore the system to it's original settings, either resetting or refreshing. The difference between the two is that with resetting, you lose your personal files but with refreshing you keep it.

Nothing is ever perfect though. This process removes any programs you installed, so you'll need to reinstall them after you've fixed the problem.

This article explains what to do. http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

I gather it's the same process for Windows 10.

There will most likely be articles that explain how to recover from a specific update error, but you'd need to know exactly which update that was and follow a lengthy process. Don't panic, you can recover from where you are now. The question you need to ask yourself is whether it's simpler to refresh the computer then reinstall your programs or to undo the update. Restoring your computer to its factory defaults can help clean out junk you've inadvertently acquired and fix registry issues that might be slowing your computer down.