1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Window/Whiteboard Cleaner sprayed at me by pupil

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by jue123, Apr 17, 2015.

1. jue123

jue123 New commenter

I was walking up a stairwell when I saw a mist in front of me, my clothes became damp and my face and eyes were covered in spray. When I got further up the stairs a pupil was stood there with the canister in her hands. I said have you just sprayed me with that, she said 'she didn't do it'. I asked her to hand the can over but she refused. I reported it to my manager and a call out to security was done to have her picked up because she ran off. She told everyone she didn't do it but was sent home. I completed an incident report and a IRIS consequence. I went to the science department and had my eyes rinsed but the following day my eyes were stuck together and itchy with blurred vision. I went to my GP who completed some eye dye chemical tests on me for Cornea damage - none found. I am off sick now but I am frightened to return. GP offered me a 2 week sick note but I have declined at this time. I have notified the Principal of the incident and I wish to be moved to another post. My GP stated I should report it to the Police. What would you do?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I'm really sorry to hear of this incidence.

Whether or not I would report it to the Police depends on what consequences this student receives. If she is suspended for the maximum amount of time and you don't have to teach her, then perhaps I would leave it at that. If, however, she does not receive any further consequences from the Principal, then perhaps I might report it to the Police. In any event, she needs to learn that her behaviour was very serious indeed.

If I were you I would also contact your union just for backup in needed. Did this student have a history of doing this type of thing to other people. Is she known for to be dangerous, or was this a one off?

Furthermore, you might need counselling in order to return.

3. jue123

jue123 New commenter

Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated. The pupil is already on a reduced timetable due to behaviour. I have been trying to find out what has happened to her but I have had no reply from the Principal, vice Principal or SENCO. It is the last straw at this school. If they don't move me to a admin vacancy in school of which I know there are, I am getting in touch with the council HR. What chance do you have when the pupil's drink Red Bull for breakfast, bring in lighters and try to set fire to someone's coat while in the classroom, the language is constantly bad, tip up chairs and tables and just walk out. The worst school I have worked at.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

jue123

Hi

After I had posted my initial reply I asked my husband about your situation and he said report it to the Police, so don't rule that out either since there are probably a lot of people who would report it and after reflection I too think you should report it as it could be classified as an assault.

Contact your union and ask them as well on what your options might be and ensure you keep a log of all these things and write them down somewhere but keep the written copy at home safe where you can get it easily if you need it.

If I were you, from what you write, I would start looking for another post away from the school since no one deserves to have to work under such conditions. On the other hand, surely someone needs to know what is going on at the school, so perhaps you should contact the council's HR department.

5. jue123

jue123 New commenter

Hi

Thanks pepper5

I have asked the Vice Principal and Principal for another post within the school but had no reply from either as yet, I know there are posts as I have already applied for them. I have applied for other posts away from this zoo, too. An English teacher was attacked a month ago and she called the police, she hasn't been back to work since. Also, there has not been any mention of it - swept under the carpet. What I have experienced in this academy is that things only get done at snail to stop pace. People in the school are not very efficient at their jobs. No wonder it's at the bottom of the tables. I love helping children who want to learn but these kids are not interested.

Anyway, I was thinking of contacting HR as on the copy of the incident report it states it goes to them and I can ask them to find out what happened to the pupil. I am a normal person who hasn't any dealings with the police but these kids have had plenty.

Every day I drive to that hostile zoo with palpitations, chest pains and feel sick, I have lost a load of weight over the past 4 months. So I think I will go back to my GP for some time off.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

hi jue123

Good idea about going to your GP and also contact your union to seek legal advice. The school has a duty of care towards you and if they are not dealing with matters properly, then perhaps you may have a claim against them. You may even consider taking independent legal advice if you could find a solicitor to give you a half hour free of charge.

I think there are more schools than the government would like to admit that are exactly like the one you are working in; this is not right...the Government should take action. Teachers should be protected whilst at work and not to be made to work in such circumstances; it is shocking to say the least.

Recently, I stopped going to a school similar to the one you describe whilst on supply; the behaviour wasn't as bad as what you have experienced, but clearly the staff were struggling to maintain any type of consistent standard of good behaviour in the classroom. I finally quit going because I had had enough. It is all such a waste of money and I am going to email the local candidates this evening to find out what they are going to do about the vast amount of money wasted in schools like the one you mention and the ones around here.

I sincerely hope you find another position.

7. jue123

jue123 New commenter

I got in touch with HR and they are dealing with the incident and the change of job. But just heard the little madam who sprayed me has been suspended and teachers have been asked for work to be sent home. I don't think the school have any intention of finding me another post, so not sure how to proceed after tomorrow - either I go back or get sick note

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

At least they have suspended the student and to be honest, I am surprised they did. That is some progress.

Perhaps you could go back and work until you find something more suitable away from the school you are working in. Not all schools are like it.

If you have time, go over to work place dilemmas...there is a post from someone who was punched in the stomach whilst 20 weeks pregnant working in a primary school. Shocking.

9. jue123

jue123 New commenter

That sounds horrific. Will take a look.

Been signed off for 2 weeks due to the stress. I've put 2 applications in for posts elsewhere. Senco has finally been in touch and says there are no other jobs available in school, but will keep a look out. HR are pushing for an admin post as I don't feel safe.

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi jue123

Take these next two weeks to recover - you deserve it.

Keep looking as I am sure you will be able to find something more suitable even if it means working in another sector.

11. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Not that it helps much - but after rinsing your eyes with water the appropriate action for organic solvents ( isopropyl alcohol in this case ) is to apply an eye bath of pure olive oil because the solvent strips off your natural oils leaving your eyes with no lubrication.

rm2014 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi nneddyfonk

Not much help for the poor teacher this happened to, but still useful to know.

If you are reading jue123 did you find another post?