1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Window cleaning....so frustrating!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by y4me, Jul 24, 2011.

1. y4me

y4me New commenter

Can anyone suggest a way of cleaning smear marks off windows (inside) as I've been going over and over mine all day, to no effect whatsoever! I've been using Windolene, washing up liquid in water, dry cloths, wet cloths, chamois leather etc. I don't want to use vinegar as I can't stand the smell, and shaving cream (another option I've heard about) makes the problem worse! Thanks!!

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Tomato ketchup

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thats only good for the silver or making sweet and sour sauce

4. y4me

y4me New commenter

LOL!

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Cubes of Spam on a cocktail stick

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Newspapers are supposed to be good for windows.
    If you are in UK, can I suggest you call it a day and do it in the daylight instead?

7. y4me

y4me New commenter

I am in the UK - I did actually give up on my windows before it got dark! I have been googling - and have come across a product called 'Brite Glass and Plastic Cleaner'. Anyone heard of it?

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

In my experience, all 'products' are ineffectual.
    Find a good window cleaner and get him to do the inside as well as the outside of the windows. It's what I do. [​IMG]

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

One would hope for a good job from a window cleaner ....... however ...
    I've spent the weekend in agony after aggravating an old back injury (slipped disc) trying to clean the outside of my windows after the window cleaner left them dirtier than they were before!
    Grrr [​IMG]

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Newspaper, scrunched up, and a scoosh of windowlene.

11. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

I know you dont like the smell but a vinegar based window cleaner is the best most shop bought ones dont smell anywhere near as neat vinegar does. Also buy some decent microfibre cloths I swear by the 3 pack from wilkinsons. Use two cloths one to wipe the cleaner round the window and a bone dry one to polish.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh dear, marlin! That is awful, poor you. [​IMG]
    My chap has been 'with me' for 20 years. A gem to cherish. Hope you find one such yourself.
    Look after that back!

13. Be sparing with the window cleaner spray (anything shop bought will do) and kitchen roll.

14. soapy water, taken off with a squeegee, then wipe with a decent microfibre cloth. My Mum bought me the ecloth for glass and the cleaning lady says it's fab.

15. another e cloth addict here - also good to keep in the car for windscreens

16. I use soapy water and two cloths - one for washing, one for drying -
    then I put the net curtains back so I can't see the smears!

17. y4me

y4me New commenter

Some fantastic replies! I'm having fun now, cleaning my windows!

18. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

At this time of night? [​IMG]