1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wilshaw warns teachers against reality TV

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Yoda-, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw has warned head teachers they should refuse to take part in television reality shows.

Speaking to the ASCL head teachers' conference, he says such programmes give a "distorted" impression of modern state schools.

Sir Michael said such shows "provide great TV but little reality".

"All they do is reinforce the caricatures of comprehensive schools," said the Ofsted boss.

"They inevitably focus on the sensational, at the cost of presenting a balanced picture of what goes on in our schools," Sir Michael told head teachers at their annual conference in Birmingham.

"The spotlight always falls on the lippy kid and the newly qualified teacher in trouble and gives a distorted view of our state system."

Of course as we all think it's more like the recruitment advertisements?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35726879

Cartoon-E5.jpg

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm sure there's already a thread about this, unless I've imagined it?

I have spent some time trying to find his contributions to 'Homes Under the Hammer' on youtube, but with little success so far.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Dearie me Mr WIlshaw! Many teachers would tell you that what you see on these reality shows doesn't come close to the sad, scary reality of what some teachers have to deal with every day.

But hey - you're an Ofsted man! They hide the worst bits from you as well - so what would you know?

delnon, cissy3, TCSC47 and 1 other person like this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yep, just a little further down the front page of this forum:
    https://community.tes.com/threads/sauce-for-the-goose-but-not-the-gander.734202/

The programme was first broadcast in 2010, then repeated in 2012 and again in 2014 - perhaps it may come round again this year? The house he renovated is in Greenwich, which may help, although I doubt the episode is on YouTube.

More at:
    https://www.tes.com/article.aspx?storycode=6289112

cissy3 likes this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

A different speech, place and time to before.....

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

??

I was replying to cissy3, who was looking for information on the original Homes Under the Hammer programme in which Wilshaw appeared. The TES article referenced was in response to the 2012 repeat of that programme.

As I mentioned, comment about Wilshaw telling head's not to do what he himself did, and appear on a TV reality show, is in the "Sauce for the Goose but not for the Gander" thread.

cissy3 likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Letter in today's Telegraph.

Ofsted’s fear tactics
    SIR – Sir Michael Wilshaw, HM Chief Inspector of Schools, claims that television documentaries such as Educating Yorkshire discourage recruitment into the teaching profession.

Perhaps Sir Michael and Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary, should put the house of Ofsted in order first. If a fly-on-the-wall documentary was ever made about the way schools are inspected, teacher recruitment would really dry up.

Ofsted is part of the reason for failing schools and the poor retention of teachers. Its method is to instil a climate of fear. Since it was set up in 1992, it has demeaned schools and teachers with its tick-box system. One tick out of place can ruin a reputation.

Dr John Black
    Bristol

delnon, cissy3 and Scintillant like this.