1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wilshaw - Ofsted can't afford the right calibre staff

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Sep 24, 2018.

1. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

I know that. I’ve been one for 35 years.

I was DH in mid 90s in a school that appealed an inspection outcome, so please don’t treat me as an Ofsted apologist. Far from it.

2. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

"I was DH in mid 90s in a school that appealed an inspection outcome, so please don’t treat me as an Ofsted apologist. Far from it."

I am not. But you did say that this Ofsted inspector was good, and I did ask you "What did she contribute to the pupils' learning at your school that is worth the time and expense of OFSTED?"

I would still be interested to know, since it is my opinion that in all the time I have known Ofsted, and I go way back to a time when we had just HMI and school surveys (carried out jointly by teachers, inspectors and LEAs) with the emphasis on research, communication and a sense of community / joint school development. Now that was good.

So what was good about this Ofsted inspector? What did she do that helped teachers, pupils and school?

3. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Head teachers have long since forgotten about teaching and only those with leadership can be ofsted inspectors, which in turn is part of the problem.

stonerose, Shedman and woollani like this.
  4. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

OF. 'like jury duty...'. Now that IS an idea.:p

Shedman likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Wilshaw: I miss the power and oxygen of when people would tremble in awe of my words. If I shout loud enough they will still publish me.

[SHOUTS]

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yes, Willers, SHUT IT, you pompous hypocritical bastable pufflington!

stonerose and Shedman like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Or no degree!

Shedman likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

That is such a good idea. Our profession was doomed when they decided we couldn’t monitor ourselves.

stonerose, Shedman and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

In HE there’s a thing called ‘External Examination’. ( nothing like ‘internal examination’ which is something entirely different :eek:).

Every year a faculty has a visit from a team of external examiners. The team is made up of people from different HEIs. They all work in the equivalent areas in their universities. They don’t have to be in senior positions, but need to show that they know what they’re talking about. In my experience they do exactly the same day job as the people they are visiting.

There is no teaching observation. They look at samples of work from a range of degree classifications.

The idea is to swap ideas and make constructive comments along the lines of ‘this works for us’ or ‘we tried this and it doesn’t work because...’
    They write a report.

Seems to work ok, although you do get the ones that enjoy the power. And, of course, the arrogant ones at your place that ignore any suggestions.

You might get someone that external examines at two places (I think that’s the max you can do) in which case you can see what works well in three other universities.

I think the pay works out at about £50 a day. The university chooses who they want.

Perhaps something like this could be adapted for schools. But you’d still get the usual suspects applying to do it.

Mrsmumbles and Shedman like this.
  10. woollani

woollani Established commenter

That's how it used to be in state schools before OFSTED with the assistance of HMI.

stonerose, install and Shedman like this.
  11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If schools "can't afford" the right calibre staff, why should ofsted be any different?

12. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

4D27551D-B669-48B0-8F58-9B1BAB53E7CB.png

stonerose and Shedman like this.
  13. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

......or it was so long ago that it might as well be the Ice Age.

Another non- doer who needs to get back to the 'chalk face'. That or retrain.:rolleyes:

Shedman likes this.
  14. stonerose

At least then you would have inspectors with current workplace practice and experience in the appropriate setting i.e. the classroom, not a board room.

thekillers1 and Shedman like this.
  15. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Teaching has been dismantled as a profession and is rapidly becoming a McJob. With lousy pay that isn’t enough to get a mortgage in many parts of the country, serious workload issues that have not been resolved and show no sign of being so, increasingly poor behaviour that is getting worse in many schools, Heads on astronomical salaries and great opportunities abroad, why on Earth would you ever expect things to get better?

16. stonerose

Agree. The title head teacher should be reserved for those who actually teach. if you have no current workplace practice other than meetings and pen and paper pushing you have no right to be called a teacher, far less stand in judgment on those that do.

thekillers1 likes this.
  17. thekillers1

So true. At least you have a free lunch with McDonalds, uniform and qualifications all paid by the fast food chain.

woollani likes this.
  18. ajrowing

ajrowing New commenter

It is hardly news that Ofsted don't employ the right calibre of staff, some time ago I seem to remember they employed a chap called Wilshaw who each time he opened his mouth he demonstrated he knew nothing.

thekillers1 and Grandsire like this.
  19. thekillers1

Remember his quote on stress?!