1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wilshaw - Ofsted can't afford the right calibre staff

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-cant-afford-right-calibre-staff-says-wilshaw

"My concern about Ofsted is that because it's been starved of resources over the last few years they haven't been able to employ the calibre of people who need to go into schools to challenge what's going on."

So are we judge the calibre of inspectors by Wilshaw's standards? A man who single-handedly demoralised and demotivated the teaching profession, turned schools into exam factories and ended the careers of many dedicated and committed teachers.

Wilshaw, I've said it a number of times before but you are a has-been, a complete irrelevance and the best thing you can do is to shut up.

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Couldn’t agree more. Problem is he never does shut up though.

Shedman, stonerose and tterb like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Does Wilshaw understand the meaning of the word 'challenge'?
    Definition of Challenge
    (Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

2a: to confront or defy boldly : DARE he challenged his critics to prove his guilt

I can't see any of this bold defiance in swanning around with a clipboard or mangling data.

Presumably he's moving into politics and realised that saying any rubbish is better than saying nothing at all.

4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Well said. Well done for your restraint.

5. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

No sense of irony that guy.

stonerose and Shedman like this.
  6. woollani

woollani Established commenter

Yes indeed.

stonerose, install, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Do you think the former **** will ever become a currently doing **** again?

Shedman likes this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Are things any better when a person who has never taught is in charge?
    I wonder how many teachers are going to get their classes to analyse a newspaper article stating that modern-day Ofsted inspectors are rubbish-while they have a modern-day Ofsted inspector observing?

9. sportyteach2

sportyteach2 New commenter

The problem with Wilshaw (and Gove & Morgan) is that all three need to be completely discredited for bringing the profession to it's knees. Furthermore, for providing the raft of [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] and failures that are fast revealing themselves before our eyes, now that accountability and practices are starting to be finally questioned.

stonerose and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Didn't some just get a 10,000 pound bonus ? Ofsted need to go - they have caused so much stress for far too many. Why don't they just teach and try living on a teacher salary ?:cool:

11. woollani

woollani Established commenter

Or just retire and let others get on with. It's not as if they need the money.

Shedman, stonerose and install like this.
  12. drek

drek Lead commenter

That has been the backward premise of every insecure leader.
    Everyone doing an actual job is rubbish.
    You need me and my organisation to straighten them out.
    You need to pay me big bucks to watch them doing their job, criticise them and come up with a million unworkable policies based on questionable judgements.
    That's what every parent wants....thats what every school leader needs to 'raise standards'.......apparently.
    And now.....my organisation itself is rubbish....You need me to etc etc.....

13. scilady

scilady New commenter

Nothing in education is funded is it should be: Special Needs neglected, not enough STEM teachers, neglect of the extremely bright and so on.

forthejoyofit, Shedman and install like this.
  14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So it's basically down to greed; the people Wilshaw wants won't work for (probably more than) the sort of money that's available to the majority of teachers actually doing the job. Inspecting is less stressful, with less workload and no long term commitment to seeing things through in an individual institution.

stonerose, tonymars, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  15. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Ofsted should be like jury duty for teachers. inspectors should be chosen from actual working teachers who will take a few days out from their regular school, inspect and then return.

lardylegs, Shedman, stonerose and 3 others like this.
  16. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

A lot of inspectors are current teachers from schools that got atleast a 2 at their last inspection.
    For our last inspection, the lead inspector was a head teacher from 100 miles away. She was really good.

The idea that inspectors are all employed full time by Ofsted is wrong.

Shedman likes this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

So "a lot" of inspectors are from schools with nice catchments in leafier areas.

Just the people to advise those of us who work in much more challenging areas.

18. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

"She was really good."

So are most teachers. What did she contribute to the pupils' learning at your school that is worth the time and expense of OFSTED?

Shedman, Catgirl1964 and Scintillant like this.
  19. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Can’t argue with that, because I don’t have the detail and don’t make assumptions.

You’re right. It would be useful if they came from similar schools. I’ve worked in three areas of deprivation as well as leafy suburbs. Very often it seems like a totally different job. Different challenges.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    stonerose and Shedman like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, and Ofsted judgements are data driven. Hence you have much less chance of a "good" if you work in a challenging area while teachers who can't hack those places or don't want to work in challenging areas are lauded as "better".

Talking of assumptions... how many current inspectors are teachers from schools with a 2?

stonerose, Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.