1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

William Wigglesworth

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Ms Chipping, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Ms Chipping

Ms Chipping New commenter

My tutor group has to do an assembly on William Wigglesworth. He was an evangelical faith healer who claimed he could raise people from the dead. As a science teacher how do you think I should handle this one?

2. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

Is this a church school or a non-church school? This does sound like a slightly odd topic for an assembly.

3. Ms Chipping

C of E school

4. Am I right in thinking that it is the tension between religion and science that is causing you an issue? If that's the case the best way forward is to present the information / drama with an overview of the facts about the person and use phrases like "some people believe that..." or "this led to the popular belief..." etc. That is how I have always got round religious issues. Present the facts as facts and the beliefs as beliefs - simples! (that is if I have understood the dilemma!)

5. Ms Chipping

yes, let's not confuse the issue with facts

6. Sorry Ms Chipping - I am not clear what you mean here. If I have misunderstood the issue can you enlighten me? I am trying to help!

7. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I promised myself I wouldn't reply to this thread but my 'wontpower' has just collapsed irretrievably!
    Had I been you, I couldn't have resisted doing an assembly about the damaging impact of such clap-trap to the advance of science!

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

If it's a Church of England school then it won't believe in this nonsense. Well, maybe some lunatic staff might. I do, however, know a very large number of clergy, and they would scoff at this.