1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will your school feel forced to do new CA tasks every year?

Discussion in 'English' started by Spassky, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I've just found out that if we use the current CA titles with next year's y10 then we must submit all the marks to the board by June 2012. You can't submit them in January 2013. It is too much of a risk for us to do the old titles as we probably won't get all the pupils to do the CAs and get them marked by June what with absences and the time it takes to teach a pupil who has missed a CA (and also get them to sit it). We haven't finished all the CAs yet with the current y10. It just means more work planning for a new set of tasks each year (though there are some points where we can re-use tasks for the new questions). Will other schools happily take on the gamble of getting everything done and dusted in 10 months on the second year of each two year cycle?

2. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I've just found out that if we use the current CA titles with next year's y10 then we must submit all the marks to the board by June 2012. You can't submit them in January 2013. It is too much of a risk for us to do the old titles as we probably won't get all the pupils to do the CAs and get them marked by June what with absences and the time it takes to teach a pupil who has missed a CA (and also get them to sit it). We haven't finished all the CAs yet with the current y10. It just means more work planning for a new set of tasks each year (though there are some points where we can re-use tasks for the new questions). Will other schools happily take on the gamble of getting everything done and dusted in 10 months on the second year of each two year cycle?

3. So when are the new CA tasks coming out? I'm about to do one with year 9, but won't want to submit it until June 2013? Is it impossible for me to do this?

4. manc

manc New commenter

Year 9?

That's rather jumping the gun - if it's not impossible, it should be.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm loving manc's replies on recent threads! AQA have said new tasks will be published every year and they've put the 2013 ones on line. I assume most boards will follow same pattern. You could do a CA from the new task bank with y9 and submit marks in June 2013, but wouldn't you get better work from them next year?

6. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

The new tasks are available on e-aqa. The last date for submission of the current tasks is June 2012. It would be very helpful if this was extended (very soon) until January 2013. It makes teachers produce new resources every year (or get the lot done, marked, moderated in 10 months) but I can't see the benefit to anyone.

7. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

We're just tweaking the title for most of them. Spoken Language will have to be completely overhauled as what we did doesn't now fit. Hopefully though in a few years we'll have a bank of tasks we can just use in rotation depending what the titles specify.

8. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

So are you saying that the third person, present tense descriptive piece I am doing this term with Year 9, done to see if we can get ahead, I can't submit when these students are Y11? I would do an exam with them in June next year, 2012, when they are in Y10, but then submit controlled assessment in 2013, when some may have retaken the exam.
    Can someone just clarify this for me please.

9. manc

manc New commenter

We're saying 'Give the year 9s a break, Simon Legree'.

10. sunflower48

And that comment did not answer the question!

11. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

You absolutely cannot submit work done using the first set of CA tasks after next June. (Check on page 1 of the CA tasks pdf document if you don't believe me- it says in big, easy-to-miss-until-today letters.) I reckon lots of schools are unaware. Check out the new questions though; there may be a way round it. We did the piece on 'change' this year and got the kids to do a description of a scene in summer and winter. One of the new tasks is a free choice of writing based on a Shakey title or quotation. "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer." Job's a good un. Can you shizzle your task onto a Shakespeare quotation? You must be able to. We are just going to get our Y9s to rewrite our APP dept policy and programme APP trackers for us as there are no SATs.

12. manc

manc New commenter

Y9s to rewrite our APP dept policy
    Sunflower's lack of humour is depressing enough without news of poor Year 9's being forced to toil on tasks like this.
    Have you any spare to weed my garden?
    Sunflower - you should change your username to Pompous Maximus.

13. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Damn, forgot the irony emoticon. With regards to weeding your garden, surely you could just apply some withering comments around your borders? [​IMG]

14. manc

manc New commenter

Best not. It's bad enough the poor things being left weeping in their dormitories every weekend.

15. sunflower48

Isn't it a good job that everyone on this site is not as self righteous as Manc. What a wonderful colleague you must be - sense of humour to the end, however, not a care in the world for any others. You know nothing about me, my place of work or my circumstances and yet you feel that it is acceptable to come out with a sweeping inappropriate comment.
    As we say to students 'if you can't come out with anything sensible, don't bother speaking at all' In fact Manc give the rest of the people on here who come out with supportive comments a rest and stay away for a while.

16. sunflower48

Spassky, circular from WJEC says
    For the attention of Heads of English
    Dear Colleague
    Controlled Assessment Tasks
    Please note that the controlled assessment tasks for submission in 2013 are unchanged from those specified for 2012 and are now available on the secure website.

So you can use for Year 9, at least you get two years worth of planning.

17. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

That's lucky for you but we are AQA unfortunately and they are not so thoughtful.

18. sunflower48

Oh no! That is just another lot of planning for you, Change Boards!

19. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Unless WJEC intend to keep the same titles for ever, isn't the same issue going to arise with them at some point?
    Surely, if you are teaching skills and making the content very much secondary, it's much less of an issue when the CA titles change. This is also the best way to prepare students for exams. I can only see lots of extra planning being necessary if you decide to study a new text.

20. manc

manc New commenter

What a teacherly word 'inappropriate' is.