1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you mourn HMV?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 28, 2018.

?

Will you miss HMV?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No, I don't buy films or music

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. No, online is more convenient

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. No, I dislike their brand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, their model is defunct

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. No, other

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. Ambivalent

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I realise they are just in administration and not actually out of business yet... but the writing has been on the wall for a while now.

Thing is I've always tried to make a point of shopping with them. They fill a gap on the high street, I try to actually support the high street, they are a British firm employing people in the UK, paying taxes in the UK... so yeah I'm old fashioned and buy CDs and DVDs there when the urge arises.

But the US streaming and US online shopping services [taxes paid in Luxembourg] seem to be winning... just so much easier...

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

No. I don't buy CDs or DVDs much these days and HMV has lost its way as a music retailer a long time ago. When I go past the mostly empty store in town I've always been quite surprised they're still going.

Conversely, I wandered into a Waterstones for the first time in a couple of year and was pleasantly surprised. There's a real sense someone is choosing the range and highlighting the best in each genre, as well as a few quirkier personal recommendations.

strawbs likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Waterstones has come on quite a long way of late.

I noticed HMV tried to diversify with books, toys and tshirts... didn't seem to catch on with shoppers.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I thought they'd already gone.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Times moved on leaving HMV behind, like the coal-office, horse-drawn drays, nightsoil-men and hydraulic power companies.

nomad and artboyusa like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's sad, but inevitable. I used to spend a lot at HMV (& Virgin, Tower etc), but it's probably 7or 8 years since I bought anything there.

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

HMV, Waterstones, Tesco, Asda all of them are doomed. Within ten years there will be no shops left and all shopping is done online. Our as-yet-unborn grandchildren will be asking with puzzled faces to explain the concept of a "shop" as a physical building that sold things.

red_observer likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The practicalities of buying "media" are so much easier online. Long gone are the days when I would save up and head in to town on a Saturday to spend my money on an album that I realised I didn't like much apart from that one great track that was the reason I bought it, and that other ok one on the other side.

Times have moved on, music and video shops are a thing of the past.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Who will be looking after Nipper

upload_2018-12-28_17-36-40.jpeg
    The next time this happens?
    upload_2018-12-28_17-36-2.jpeg

10. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Fashion will remain on the high street for a long time to come, if only to showroom.

border_walker likes this.
  11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Yes I will miss HMV. Streamlined music does not have the same sound quality as a CD (for a geeky reason about lossy compression). I use HMV online in preference to Amazon when I can because they are cheaper and don't try to flog you some Prime "add-on".

I also enjoy browsing through their shops and often (always) find myself discovering and buying albums I wouldn't have considered before.

But if I am honest because of things like traffic and lack of time I last visited a store back in the Summer so must take some blame for HMS's demise on the high street myself. :(

artboyusa, lizziescat and lanokia like this.
  12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Interesting and thoughtful post. You may be right. Market forces or the advance of technology? I think Tesco’s will survive though... git a funny feeling about them!
    Interesting also that those on this board who cherish “tradition” are prepared to see this one die... what hypocrites!

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The companies will survive like Woolworths have survived.

14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Businesses come and go, I won't be mourning anything. Many of the brand's we think we know are nolonger owned by who we think anyway... While if they are and those people are successful they will be slammed for exploitation of others and hoarding money that could be redistributed amongst everyone in society... It would appear from other threads here.

15. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

HMV had done for the independent record shops, now Amazon's had done for them. It's the independent record shops I miss.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes. It's a shame.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I wonder how much of the online shopping market is Amazon. *heads off to DuckDuckGo*

18. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

To be honest I was surprised to discover it still existed to go in to administration.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well if anyone is interested this is what I found
    upload_2018-12-28_18-47-19.png

By quite a long way... Amazon wins.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I heard someone on the radio a while ago saying that the UK could probably lose about half its shops and it would have little effect on people's lives other than the shop workers, which I can see is probably true.

There are 3 opticians in my local town for instance, Specsavers (cheapest), Boots (mid range) and an independent (very expensive), there are always loads of people in Specsavers, one or two in Boots and the independent has always been empty on the 3 or 4 occasions I've been in, it's nearly always empty when I walk past. The prices reflect the fact that they have to make much more profit on each sale to compensate for the small number of sales. Mrs. M. went in there a while ago and chose some glasses, by the time she'd added varifocal lenses and coatings etc. them came to £800! She looked online and eventually got exactly the same thing for £250, supporting local businesses is one thing, but that is a rip-off of a high order.

I've never liked shopping on the high street really, uncomfortable and crowded, getting there, carrying stuff back again, online shopping is such a perfect solution for people like me.