1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you miss The Independent?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Will you miss The Indie?

1. Yes

30.8%
  2. No

61.5%
  3. Indiana Jones? Nooooo... oh wait the 4th one sucked...

7.7%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...es_n_9217108.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk

The Independent newspaper is to cease print publication and the title will become digital only, owners ESI Media have announced.

The last paper edition is expected to be on Saturday March 26.

Its sister paper, The Independent on Sunday, will likely publish its final issue on March 20.

Evgeny Lebedev, owner of the 30-year-old title, said: “The newspaper industry is changing, and that change is being driven by readers. They’re showing us that the future is digital.

"This decision preserves the Independent brand and allows us to continue to invest in the high quality editorial content that is attracting more and more readers to our online platforms.

“The Independent has always been a pioneering newspaper with a track record of innovation. It has a proud heritage as Britain’s first truly independent national quality title.

"My family bought and invested heavily in The Independent because we believe in world-class quality journalism, and this move secures the future of these vitally important editorial values.”

Around 30 jobs will be created at Independent online, reports said, while some staff will move to their stablemate publication, the i, which is being sold to Johnston Press.

Never been a reader myself, have looked at their website... so eventually will go all print media.

Daily Telegraph sooner than some if the downward death spiral in quality isn't halted soon.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think their digital version is appalling.

I don't know anyone with a good word to say about Johnston Press either.

lanokia likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think you're right. Sadly. I'll miss the Indie, but when was the last time I bought a paper...? (Rhetorical question - not recently!)

lanokia likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. I stopped looking at the online version a while ago as it was so poor.

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Their interweb site is indeed awful, and has got worse with all those links to "10 photos that will astonish you" and "The internet broke when she walked on the red carpet" and other such links within links that slow the whole thing down. But worst of all the articles are junk and bad journalism. Bye Independent, you obviously weren't and it is somewhat counter-intuitive being owned by a Russian oligarch, no matter how self righteous.

Middlemarch likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

The Indie website isn't as good as those of the Guardian or (dare I say) the Telegraph.

But I'd still miss it should it disappear (or go behind a firewall).

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Rarely read it.

8. FrankWolley

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I only buy it on Saturdays, when I make three copies of the super sudoku and make a first attempt at it in the bath. From time to time I even complete the wretched thing but the prizes are so naff that I never send it off.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Never read it.

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I disliked the Indy on purely aesthetic grounds. Their editorial cartoons are so ugly and badly drawn that it hurt my eyes to look at them...but I've always been sensitive that way
    upload_2016-2-12_22-8-38.jpeg

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Why would you get your news from a newspaper anymore?

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Because I like having a newspaper. It plops through the letterbox at 7am every morning and I read it while I'm having breakfast. I like turning the pages and filling in the crossword. Infinitely preferable to having to go on line for it.

cuteinpuce likes this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

But it's just confirmation bias. Newspapers are pretty much hopeless in terms of objective news.

There are much better sources these days.

15. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I've been having a ponder on this.

We only get a newspaper on Saturday (The Times unless the local shop has run out) and what I like is the mixture it offers. A chance to catch up on what's going on around the world, what's going on in Britain. I don't find much of interest in the magazine but the rest of it - particularly the arts stuff - is good to read.

Is there such a thing as objective news? Surely all presentation of news involves editorial judgements and that introduces an element of subjectivity. Anyway, I want my news to be put into some sort of context.

And I like the columns, whether they're to do with the news or sports or arts. It's good to read other people's views on what's going on; it's something to compare my own opinions with.

And then there are the puzzles - a very important aspect of our Saturday newspaper reading.

Yup, I like newspapers.

Lascarina likes this.
  16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I like my newspapers, Graun on Mondays to Saturdays, IoS on Sundays. The print Indies are quite a nice slightly left of centre source of information and comment. On holiday, I often buy the i - why pay more when most of the content is in the cheap one?On Sundays, I got fed up with throwing away unread sections of Observer filled with flim-flam about pop singers and actors, and then tired of the anti-teacher, anti Palestine views of the Sunday Times. I'm not sure what I will do when the IoS packs it in.