1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you celebrate European Day of Languages next year post Brexit?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by madcatlady, Sep 26, 2018.

1. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

We are having loads of fun is school today enjoying EDoL. As I think it's a Council of Europe event, will you join in next year? Thoughts?

markbamforth and MosaiK like this.
  2. cathr

cathr New commenter

The lack of responses to this post suggests a degree of perplexity in our community about what happens post Brexit... I am sure in many domains, not just EDoL!
    Brexit or no Brexit, I will continue to celebrate EDoL: culturally, historically and emotionally the UK is still at one with the rest of Europe even if politically and economically we might drift apart. Who cares who organises the day but f you really feel that the date is sensitive in our politically correct world, choose your own date and carry on!

markbamforth, MosaiK and madcatlady like this.
  3. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

Thank you for answering, I was feeling a bit persona no grata. I think we are just going to do it on 26th Sept anyway. Glad you will be celebrating too!

markbamforth, MosaiK and cathr like this.
  4. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

I believe that as teachers of MFL we will always feel a duty to teach our students the importance of languages alongside the grammar and vocabulary etc... that go with learning a foreign language - regardless of Brexit.
    Brexit does not mean the end for MFL. :D
    Indeed European Day of Languages should be important enough to each and every MFL teacher and enables us to at least once a year, make a point at our schools that we exist and that languages are worth celebrating, especially in the light of cultural diversity in this country and in the rest of Europe. The UK may leave the European Union but cannot physically leave the European continent... After all, we consider Japan to be part of Asia and Madagascar to be part of Africa... :cool:
    In any case EDL was established by the Council of Europe and this is an entirely different organisation to the EU. Whilst every country that is now part of the EU was already a member of the Council of Europe prior to joining, not all member states of the Council of Europe are also in the EU. ;)
    Brexit means that the UK is leaving the EU, but there have not been any signs of the UK leaving the Council of Europe as well. :)
    This does not mean that it won't happen in the future, though let's not talk it up here for now. :eek::oops:

5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

I hope we will! It has always been fun whilst I've been teaching.

markbamforth and madcatlady like this.