1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you be wearing a face mask?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, May 12, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

So the Uk Gvt has advised wearing face masks on ‘ public transport and enclosed spaces such as shops’ .

But no advice has been offered about the wearing of face masks in schools. Some rooms may have 15 students in , along with other adults. Some corridors may be crowded at times eg during a fire alarm.

So - will you or won’t you - be wearing a face mask once in school and off that bus? Or do you think face masks / coverings are not needed?

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I can't even work out if I should be wearing one in the supermarket. I am not teaching now, but this whole latest approach sounds (let's be kind) muddled. I wouldn't know where to begin.
    Do TESSERs think children will be sent into school?

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you wear a mask whilst, as I discovered, having to use spectacles to see clearly, the mask causes your lenses to mist up. So you have to lift either the glasses or the mask, touching your face. Not ideal.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yesterday I ordered two washable face masks to be ready for when we can circulate more freely. I am retired, so don't have the dilemma of how to operate in the classroom, but I do take public transport as a rule (to the shops and gym, but not at all at the moment). Once I start using the bus and train again I will be using a face mask.

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Remember that face masks don’t really do anything to help the person wearing them; they stop the wearer transmitting things to others in the room. I will probably wear one in fairly enclosed spaces, where social distancing is difficult, but not most of the time. The scientific evidence also shows that children are a very, very low risk with this virus. In secondary schools it should be possible to maintain social distancing effectively; in primary it could be a bit different.

As an aside, if wearing a mask, how would we be able to teach the hearing impaired properly?

bombaysapphire and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I must admit that I don't wear a mask on the few occasions when I still use a bus, since I am normally the only passenger and the driver is right up the other end, 30 feet away and shielded by a perspex screen. As peter12171 says, a mask is only really useful if you actually have the virus - and of you do, you should not be out and about (but I realise that asymptomatic victims can still infect others if close enough).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I'm going to stick to the letter of the law if it is enforced and the words "face covering" are stipulated, not "face mask". I have several scarves I haven't used for years and they'll do well enough.

During World War II, the British government supplied the entire nation with gas masks. They didn't expect the whole population to look for old motorbike inner tubes, cut bits out of them with scissors and patch them back together with rubber solution to make leakproof gas masks.

So I won't be following the "handy hints" on face mask construction in my daily newspaper. If shopkeepers want to ban non-mask-wearers, they can always stand at the door, handing face masks to customers for free or at a nominal charge. The only face masks I've seen for sale have been on the Web, and I wonder how many of these online sellers are the genuine article and how many of them are opportunistic scammers.

In the meantime, I do what matters when I go out, namely socially distancing two metres or more, which mask-wearers often seem to forget they should still be doing.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have just been shopping and I did. Not many of the others were, and no shop staff (Aldi and Morrisons) were. First time for me, but it causes my glasses to steam up.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No. Just shopped in Tesco and saw 2 customers wearing them. No staff members sporting them at all.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes. In shops.
    If it will stop me spreading germs to others, I'm happy to.It can't do any harm.
    Ivor put your mask on first, then your glasses. Seems to work OK for me.

11. Morninglover

Didn't work for me.

Next time I'll take my glasses off - but I'm so myopic I'll be bumping into shelves, peering at prices etc and might well bump into people.

agathamorse and sodalime like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Schools have a very, very high level of social interactions. For the great majority of kids and teachers the level of interactions with others will go from minimal once or twice or week when shopping to dozens and dozens each day and this in an environment where there are countless things and surfaces that are touched by others and not cleaned.

13. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Not if you put the mask on properly, if it is steaming up your glasses then you are breathing around and not through the mask, in that case you might as well not wear one. you need to pinch the strip around your nose to prevent this.

CheeseMongler likes this.
  14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Mask use needs guidance. Sterile masks will inevitably pick up any contamination, need disposing of, washable masks -we'll need more than one - you can't keep taking them on and off during the day, you'll need to wash all your face as well when you return home...I'll be wearing one.

15. border_walker

Shop in Waitrose, about half of the customers wear one, plus similar for staff. Much safer than Tescos, much less queuing and more space inside. Have worn a mask and disposable gloves for some time. Plus glasses to protect my eyes.

16. border_walker

Better to wear glasses, or a face mask to protect your eyes. You need to fit the mask properly.

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

A more considerate type of virus in Waitrose...never knowingly etc.

18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

In the "decree" from the Gov. teachers will not wear masks in school. Read it this morning but can't be bothered to find the link.
    Morning news on BBC had a Dutch teacher in talking about what they do. Teaching outside, hand washing facilities added outside, small play groups of 5 children created for play time, new play equipment bought for each group to use, playground zoned, ......She said it took her 20 mins to do the hand washing with her 9 to 11 year olds and they have to do this frequently throughout the day.

agathamorse and Dodros like this.
  19. Morninglover

Well, I tried to ensure it was covering my mouth & nose, which is surely correct. ot sure how one 'pinches the strip' given that there mask doesn't have any wire in it that I can see.

Not sure how a 'face mask' protects one's eyes! I don't wear glasses when swimming, for example, but don't have to read anything. When shopping one does have to read.

For what it's worth, this is the type of mask we acquired - as we have a box of 50 we'll be using these for the foreseeable:
    [​IMG]

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Experimented last night with assorted scarves which I only ever wear when it's absolutely freezing and windy in the depths of winter. I really hate anything around my face & head - I only wear a hood when it's freezing & windy, too, and is one reason why my hair is short.

The scarves were impossible - I couldn't breathe and was far too hot. The only thing remotely OK was a 'Buff' (a circular tube of seamless stretchy fabric) which someone once, misguidedly, bought me. Worn round my neck, then pulled up over my mouth & nose, it would do the job. But it was still unpleasantly tight and made me so hot & sweaty. And this on a cold May evening. To wear it in summer temperatures? I'd be ill.

So, if it becomes compulsory, I just won't go to those places. Meanwhile, I'd rather take my chance than suffocate. I live alone, so chances of me catching it are minimal, I'd have thought.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    agathamorse and Dodros like this.