1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you be trying 25p's worth of New Day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35628729

This time next week, the New Day newspaper will be launched, promising that you can read all the news you'll ever need in 30 minutes.

Designed to appeal to the time poor, it may also appeal to the cash poor as it will be free on 29th February, the 25p for two weeks before being sold at it's intended price of 50p. That don't sound bad for 40 pages, does it? I reckon if you skip the adverts, you could probably get through it in ten minutes and spend the other twenty minutes on the crossword.

To tell the truth though, I don't think I've ever read a newspaper for longer than thirty minutes anyway and most of that was spent trying to separate the pages and seeking something worth reading in it.

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I won't be investing.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Independent. I. Today. And all those other demised publications?

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

-takes off shoes and socks-
    so 31*0.5 =16.5
    For a couple of quid more you could pay for a cheap broadband deal AND have access to many many news sources :D

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Future is digital...

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The New Day is launched the day after the Independent ceases production. Well there's room on the news stand at least.
    Can't really see the point of a new newspaper

7. Duke of York

It has been for me since I first went online, however there's still quite a few people who don't use the Internet or prefer to read newspapers.

Thinking back, the only occasions I've read newspapers has been when commuting. I would probably still do so if I commuted rather than try to read the news off of a phone.

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I dont think ive bought a newspaper for about three years. People on the underground only read free papers or they are engrossed on their hand helds. Its unlikely they are reading the news on a device on the tube as you can do that anytime of the day.
    The death knell for newspapers is the flight of advertisers. Newspaper ad spend has been falling by about 5% a year over the last 8 years or so. That trend will not be reversed.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Just like anyone can do on a phone or tablet for free??

Not even a new concept - as the existance of the Sun proves. :cool:

10. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

That may not be an enduring concept. Publishing news and editorial online for nothing is a poor business model.

11. Duke of York

What can they do about it though?

We live in the instantaneous world of the Twitterati that allows politicians to make fools of themselves at the same time they strain to evacuate their bowels and not have their comments censored by Central Office before being released to the media.

People seem to find that more entertaining.

12. FritzGrade

Gibberish. Move over BigFrankEM. There's s a challenger.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You struggled with that?

Making the simple point that social media now serves as most younger peoples news source was tough for you?

14. FritzGrade

It doesn't say that at all. Your belief that twitter is younger peoples news source is inly true if you consider what Taylor Swift is up to news.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry is this supposed to make sense?

16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Fritz is talking about the current transitional business models that are being utilised by the likes of the Times etc where only "tasters" are free and payment is required to access more detail (TES is also in that mode currrently)

Such models will inevitably disappear as advertising is better organised and the paper version disappear.
    They'll have to as that is the only way that the businesses in question can face the challenges of all of the electronic services including, to a lesser extent, those involving social media.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Rereading I now get what you're trying to say...

1. I said social media. There is a lot more to that than just Twitter.

2. You confuse young people with teenagers when I'm including people upto 35 [I'd say 40 just to include myself but that might be too ambitious].

3. Not all young people are celeb obsessed.

4. Older people can be equally as celeb obsessed.

18. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Physical, hard copy newspapers?

What year have I woken up in?

19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

At 20p a newspaper, you're pretty much just paying for the physical copy and delivery to your local store anyway. The actual cost of supplying the stories will come from ad revenue, so it's no different really from the online model.

20. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I was in our newsagents when the i was being recommended - for the sort of older person who has always had a daily newspaper, and wouldn't dream of not having one, but who could no longer actually manage the whole thing. I think most younger people would rather just use online sources, but I can see that there may be a niche (and dying) market there.