1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you be discovering Star Trek: Discovery?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 17, 2017.

?

Will you be watching Star Trek Discovery?

1. Star Trek? Oh god no, give me soaps/reality TV any day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Star Trek? No that's for nerds

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. YES! Sign me up Scottie!

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. Well I would but I can't access Netflix

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. I'll give it an episode or two, it has to earn my allegiance.

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can't believe you managed to get that far into it... I'm still struggling in the first 5 eps of season 2.

I tried Nightflyer... I was bored... gave up after 15 minutes.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Whoops - human error. I meant Season 2. I haven't been flung into a TV wormhole. :)

It takes a while to get going.

3. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Well, I binged watched it and now have several queries, apart from Spock giving relationship advice.
    1. Don’t they have anaesthetics in the future. There’s an awful lot of screaming.
    2. Sick bay: privacy issues - no curtains etc.
    3. Sick bay: those beds look very uncomfortable and nobody seems to fall off one when the ship is rolling all over the place.
    4. Medical uniforms: how do they keep them so pristine white; it’s illogical.
    5. Medical uniforms and cross contamination: another patients blood on the nicey whitey but no protective covering.

And if the Klingons had the real Ash, why did they medically alter Voq rather 5han just slotting Voq’s engrams into the Ash body?

Now off to post to Aunty Dusty re whether she can help me and my obsession with a fictional programme.

BetterNow and magic surf bus like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well just watched episode 5.

Tedium springs to mind. God the voiceover is tosh. Utter drivel spouted as if it is deeply philosophical. So many competing plot lines vying for attention and yet they still insist on dragging up that mycelial network drivel.

5. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Tosh is a most appropriate description which is why I occupy my brain whilst watching it with silly ideas about sick bay hygiene. It’s grown on me. Favourite viewing, however, at the moment is Galaxy Quest, Rent and What We do in the Shadows. I have these 3 films on a loop until my bad eye is fixed and I can read comfortably again.

I’m trying The Expanse now.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I love Galaxy Quest and What we do in the Shadows. I'm watching the series now. May have to investigate Rent and The Expanse now. Don't know them.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We watched What we do in the Shadows last night.... great stuff! Matt Berry is always welcome on my TV screen.

primarycat likes this.
  8. primarycat

It's different enough to the film to be able to enjoy both.

lanokia and Laphroig like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Picard teaser trailer.

Yeah they got Burnham to do the voiceover... though I still contend she is a good actress fighting with terrible writing.

JL48 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We watched episode 2... I'm liking it... a lot.

primarycat likes this.
  11. primarycat

We're two episodes in as well. It's very me. One of the programmes that I'll make a point of watching. And on a slightly related note thanks for the Gunship tip - I've two albums now and listen to them quite a lot.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Woo i converted someone!

They are strangely very repeatable. Like I'll listen to Muse the Gunship then Iron Maiden then Gunship then Ride then Gunship then Eminem then Gunship... they are just really rewarding for repeat listening.

primarycat likes this.
  13. primarycat

Just watched episode 3. Without any spoilers as not sure where others are - the topiary! Oh my word. We've all met the office vampires. And werewolves too. I enjoyed it.

14. primarycat

Episode 4. Has used the expression to look like a thru'penny knee trembler. Think I'll have to use that more often. At lunch time in the staff room?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And now going to watch STD episode 6.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We watched that the other day... top notch fun.

primarycat likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Liking Saru being all bolshie...

JL48 likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK so STD has the Kelpians oppressed by another isolationist race... but the planet's geography is clearly Terran, Earth like...

Why not use your imaginations? Have maybe an isolationist aerial species descended from raptors that dwell on mountain tops and come down and hunt the Kelpians on the low lands below?

OK so goose bumps at his sister realising the enormity of the Universe that lies beyond her world... nice. They are doing this bit well.

Liking the Ba'ul storyline and how they were a threat to them... and the Ba'ul design is impressively alien.

OK so Pike is growing on me. And I'm learning more names of characters.. because they've been given names. What a novel idea.... giving characters names.

OK so I enjoyed that episode.

JL48 and BetterNow like this.
  19. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Yay! I started to enjoy these episodes... Hope you enjoy some more!

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well since posting that I have just left it playing... so I've covered 4 episodes.

It's diverting enough....

BetterNow and JL48 like this.