1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you be discovering Star Trek: Discovery?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 17, 2017.

?

Will you be watching Star Trek Discovery?

1. Star Trek? Oh god no, give me soaps/reality TV any day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Star Trek? No that's for nerds

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. YES! Sign me up Scottie!

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. Well I would but I can't access Netflix

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. I'll give it an episode or two, it has to earn my allegiance.

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Give season 2 ago, lanokia. It’s win me over. I’m rewatching DS9 and will investigate The Expanse.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Woah... the first scenes of season 3 are damn amazing....

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Maybe... I'm doing The Expanse right now.

4. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

Have now started on Discovery after watching Next Gen and DS9, only a few episodes in to season 1, can't make my mind up yet on how I feel about it ...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well that was an excellent way to spend half term.

Finished season 3... roll on season 4!

Excellent stuff... way beyond the capabilities of UK TV sadly.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

@lanokia have you stopped writing your reviews/ thoughts on the episodes? I really look forward to them :D

lanokia and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Service was interrupted but I might be returning to the STD well to sup deep soon.

BetterNow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's been ages since I saw STTNG (and I only ever watched it once), and I've not bothered watching anything else from the ST stable since, apart from the movies. Consequently I treat Star Trek - Discovery as a bit of harmless (and obsessively inclusive) tosh to fill an hour with on a Friday night. No point looking for deep meaning or anything - I save that mental effort for Black Mirror.

BetterNow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well ... back to STD for episode 2 of season 2...

Oh goodie Spock is doing a voice over... hinting at wooooo

What wonderful hologram technology... complete unlike anything in the Original series, Next Gen, DS9 or Voyager.
    God family dramas are tedious... this is a sci-fi show... stop babbling on about family!

Oh no, not the Spore drive... please, not the Spore drive.
    At least the plot highlights the stupidity of the tardegrade.

BLACK alert? OFFS
    And the ship still is doing that preposterous spinning nonsense when it jumps. So deeply stupid.

So they detect a red signal from 50,000 light years away, spore jump to the location... and they can't find the signal... maybe because it happened 50,000 years ago! Urgh who writes this drivel.

Haha a distant human colony living like 19th century settlers? A white wood church?

Directed by Commander Will Riker? OK, I'm interested.

Oh so the language is Federation Standard. Interesting... so not English...
    Burnham needs to shut up. Meanwhile the First Officer sits silently as she intellectually postures.

Surely the Federation knows about Dark Matter by this point and has a better name for it?
    Why does the computer signal for engineering when an unknown energy discharge is detected? Surely security would be more appropriate?

A church full of candles! How impractical...
    Ohh Burnham is familiar with the texts of Earth's religions? Is there anything Mary Sue cannot do?

The All-Mother? A matriarchal society? Interesting...

Technobabble... Tilly and FishHead talk nonsense and Tilly gets more irritating.

So Discovery arrives just as an extinction level of event is about to occur? And technobabble means they can't do simple solutions! Meanwhile lens glare becomes more and more irritating. Meanwhile Burnham and Pike argue which means Burnham is going to turn out to be right.

Oh the red burst appeared in the sky? And 50,000 years ago? The science makes no sense!

Man seeking help throws a grenade at people? Is this a planet of idiots?

Tilly has an annoying friend... maybe to make Tilly less annoying? Why is Tilly not acting like a real human being? Who thought this performance was a good idea?

A wave of technobabble is going to destroy all life and Tilly starts pushing people off their stations to babble... but she'll turn out to be right of course... because they'd not kill all life on the planet [which would be dramatically interesting]

Pike gets hit by a phaser... there is an interesting plot there about revealing futuristic tech to a low tech people... but it'll be siddled over for technoCGInonsense.
    Yup CGI nonsense is a go...

So plot is easily resolved and characters all are saved... kind of inevitable I guess...

And I don't get the ''Stilly'' bit. So Tilly is having hallucinations? Of dead people? Right...

So Burnham wants to violate the Prime Directive to make Jacob feel better? The guy that threw a grenade at them?

So this colony is now ''not lost'' while being 150 years out in the Beta Quadrant... now being a nerd I know that the Beta Quadrant is dominated by the Klingons and Romulan Star Empires... so this colony of people living like the 19th century is screwed!

But he's got a battery so it's all good.

Well that was... OK. I liked the lost colony bit... but it was all half-baked because they are obsessed with giving all the cast something to do...

JL48 and BetterNow like this.
  10. magic surf bus

I'd be surprised if you don't like episode 8.

More arcs than a geometry textbook though, way too up its own scriptures. I suspect the trick is not to spend more time thinking about it than one spends watching it.

BetterNow likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A bit too soon really! :cool:

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Star Trek Discovery episode 3 "Point of Light"

And the Klingons are back.

Narrator-Burnham irritates as much as Burnham does....and Tilly is still having visions... least Tilly accepts she isn't fit for a command level position... hell, she isn't fit for life on a starship. And Tilly stills wins out even though she stopped to have a mental episode. Guess they're putting in a positive mental health message.

Yellow Alert? Use to just be a Red Alert... now it's Yellow, Black... if Nigel Farage turns up will it be a Purple Alert?

Burnham bumps into Sarek deep in space, recognises his generic Vulcan ship... everyone just loves Burnham... and isn't Saru the First Officer? Isn't the Captain going to discuss it with him? No... wait... everything revolves around Burnham.

So Klingons are back.... and now they have hair... and excuses to speak in English... or Federation Standard.

More Burnham stuff... the last episode was kinda fun because it felt more like old style Star Trek. Now we have Burnham rubbish and Klingon stuff [hey STD you've got a whole galaxy of aliens... why recycle the same old tosh. And Klingon Chancellor sounds like she has a speech impediment.

So all of Starfleet is now using hologramatic tech... except Chris Pike.

And now Pike is on-board with the whole ''got to find Spock'' plot...

Got to say it, I'm bored. 35 more minutes

So the Federation is the only thing keeping the L'Rell regime on Qo'nos in place? So a Federation puppet regime?

Definitely bored of people having ''significant'' chats with Burnham. And Tilly having visions is very annoying.

Oooh lens flare... dear god this is visually irritating. And the plot is irritating.

What the hell were those aliens!??!?!?!?!? Put those on the screen again! One shot? One shot of weird aliens? Come on!

Ah Klingon baby... erm... why? What is going on? Oh look more fire, yawn... and a dark place... do they think this is Game of Thrones?

23 more minutes... this is awful... so bored.

They have two plots which amount to nothing... there is nothing in this ... there is no theme, no message, no ideas being explored, they aren't exploring characters because there aren't any characters just power words for writers to structure scripts around.

I got so bored I zoned out... and ghost girl is back talking to Tilly... who's crying...

Klingon fighting... boring... boring... slow motion action boring ...

And then Michelle Yeoh turns up enforcing Section 31... Michelle Yeoh is a welcome sight... and the acting shoots up a few levels.

So Tilly is being sensorised... with Stammets turning up which is a plus... I like Stammets. Though he's just here for science speak. So Tilly has mold from not washing her clothes. And it creates angry CGI.

So the Klingons have gone full matriarchal society... well it's something I guess... and meanwhile, onboard a Section 31 starship led by a despotic Emperor from a hellish parallel universe...

He's never seen black badges? But they were on Discovery in season 1... I remember that bit even if the writers don't.

Oh thank god it's over... Yeoh was the highlight

Well I survived... brain cell count shows I lost a few thousand to that... what a pointless waste of TV time...

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

14. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

The end of Season 2 was brilliant. I had to check to see if there would be a Season 3. Certainly hope both Pike and Spock appear again at some point. If there is a Section 31 spin off, I will watch and I'm looking forward to the Picard series. Wish they'd bring Enterprise back.

In the meantime, it's Sabrina (my guilty pleasure ) and cannot recommend Black Summer enough.

BetterNow likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just watched episode 4. I can do about one episode a month it seems.

This show is so unengaging... so many plots going on, characters behaving inconsistently, no hooks to draw a viewer in...

It is just straight out bad.

I'll pop back in June and watch another one... might have it done by Christmas.

Urgh my brain feels bruised.

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The last episode I watched in the second season was, I think, something to do with radar trees. This was before the announcement I linked in post #293.

Quite forgettable.

lanokia likes this.
  17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I feel as if you are watching it so I don't feel obliged to.

I appreciate your sacrifice...

BetterNow and lanokia like this.
  18. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Just binge watched seasons 1 and 2. Love Tilly. And Culber and Stamets. Still not sold on Burnham.

@lanokia, where did you see the season 3 bits?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Star Trek: Picard... coming later this year [fingers crossed] on Amazon Prime...
    upload_2019-5-16_18-14-44.png

From the same creative team behind STD... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

BetterNow likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

Watched the Season 3 finale the day I returned from holiday and it was pretty much as expected - the franchise will rise again, and again, and...

1. Why has Spock in all his various incarnations never mentioned or even hinted at his adoptive sister?
    2. If the Pike era Enterprise (and Starfleet in general) is so inclusive, tolerant, right on and liberal-minded, how did James Tiberius Kirk ever make the shortlist for captain? Did he either snog or beat up the entire interview panel? Maybe he reprogrammed the staff selection algorithm on the central computer? Come on screenwriters, explain that retrograde step in Starfleet's Recruitment, Equality & Safeguarding policy.