1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will you be discovering Star Trek: Discovery?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 17, 2017.

?

Will you be watching Star Trek Discovery?

1. Star Trek? Oh god no, give me soaps/reality TV any day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Star Trek? No that's for nerds

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. YES! Sign me up Scottie!

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. Well I would but I can't access Netflix

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. I'll give it an episode or two, it has to earn my allegiance.

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I enjoyed the first three movies a lot. The three prequels were fun. Watched the first of the next movies and thought it was a bad copy of the original.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Solo was good. Rogue squadron was amazing.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well Season 2 is here... so Lanokia is going to watch the first episode...

A thousand centuries ago? 100,000 years ago Burnham? What a load of tosh...
    Yewgads it's sickeningly drenched in touchyfeely California psychobabble.''your heart must be open enough''
    Sarek looks weird... have they changed the actor? Or is the make up just bad?
    And Amanda is dressed like a Disney princess why?
    Home with designer blue plastic walls?
    And the kids room is designed by IKEA... alien world looks like Sweden.
    Ah more hi-tech hologram gubbins in a prequel...

'Go comms'? Riiight...
    And now Sarek looks normalish... so do Vulcans age in a funny way?
    Beginning to see why Spock and Sarek don't get on... Sarek clearly prefers Burnham... must be harsh on his mixed-Species child...
    The Discovery design looks atrocious next to the [even modernised] Enterprise.
    And Burnham is still annoying...
    Is that guy wearing the LaForge visor?

And Pike is that tediously dull lead from Inhumans.
    So Discovery hasn't received the new clobber? OK... New clobber looks better than the trash Discovery wore in season 1.
    Oooh something mysterious... probably Xindi/Borg hybrids...
    I suspect that expectations line was intended directly for the audience. Keep expectations low.
    Is the women in red wearing a jaw brace?
    And alien snots on new guy... because why?...
    Tilly has become highly irritating...

So Pike is leaving the Enterprise dead in space? ... O...K...
    Ah warp space now comes with built in Opera.

''You do everything out of love''... *sigh* and that look on his face urgh... his character started off so well, sardonic, straight speaking...
    A cat? And what is with all the candles? It is a spaceship yes?
    Sarek just said Die Hard... I grinned.
    And Sarek and Burnham chat about Spock ... tedious. Oh Burnham hasn't spoken to Spock in ages? Don't worry Michael, he hasn't mentioned you in decades...
    And boredom is setting in...
    Are windows really realistic for starships? Wouldn't they be weak spots? I get they are in canon for Trek but they always seem implausible.

And now everyone introduces themselves ... and characters that we spent a whole season with GET A NAME! ... oh god they just showed up how badly written season 1 was.
    Special effects are happening!
    A red thing? Does Pike not understand about the speed of light and how that object might have been hundreds if not thousands of years ago?
    Mysterious rock has atmosphere... a mystery that intrigues...
    And gravity waves are blue?

And Captain Pike finds his whole bridge crew dissents and then Burnham has to give Pike a little lecture... just put her back in a cell and improve the show.
    Yegads they mentioned the tardigrade! CBS is being sued for copyright infringement on the tradigrade idea and they mention it... you'd think they'd want to put that far in the past.
    Landing pods? do they not have shuttles? And isn't Burnham just full of unjustified snark.
    Asteroid fields aren't like this is reality

Someone just Burnham was ''not right''... he's going to die.
    And there we go... disagree with Burnham and die...
    And why is the whole command crew [except Saru] launching themselves like this?
    Oooh saying stuff quickly with rapid editing doesn't make anything tense.

Christ this is dumb.

Long moment of silence gives audience the false hope that Burnham is dead.
    Hopes dashed

Anonymous voice says air is breathable... crew trust and remove helmets yet a red laser could decapitate them... in the same scene! Are these people stupid?

Loner scientist is interesting...
    And Burnham is talking the ldea a lot while Pike stands around... does he even know what is going on?
    Do Starfleet vessels come with spark emitters for whenever trouble happens?
    I'm reminded why I didn't take to the first series... everything is so Burnham centric when other shows had a rotating cast of characters... and Burnham isn't interesting enough to justify the attention.
    And an angel appears...

And they discover a whole new type of matter... OK...
    I'm confused about what is going on... And Pike says his mission has ended but he is nowhere near home or the Enterprise.
    And they teleported an asteroid onto a ship? O...K
    And Pike is now wearing the ugly Discovery uniform.

And the character stuff is all about Burnham and Spock... which isn't interesting ... in the slightest.

What is this about? Seriously... this episode hasn't been ''about'' anything... there is no message, no theme... it is driven solely by Burnham and she provides zero narrative momentum.
    Burnham stares at holograms... like it means something. Music says it does but ... huh... nope.

Well overall that was... pointless.

BetterNow likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Watched Season 2 episode 1 last night - thought it was entertaining tosh, so will stick with it. Best not to try interpreting it with references to Holy Star Trek Scripture - it is what it is. At some point they'll have to do a series (or film) that makes no reference whatsoever to Spock at any point - now that will be a challenge.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This franchise just keeps klingin' on.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You're in luck then.

upload_2019-1-20_13-38-5.png

Although it tries to blame SJ Clarkson [blame a woman, easy!], really it was the increasing salary of Pine and the new demands of Hemsworth.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well 2 wasn't very good, and 3 was pants. They could do a spin off with nasties in that parallel universe they used in Shatner's series and Enterprise last series. Don't need Pine or Zach, bring back Empress Sato!

8. Vince_Ulam

I noted that Sarek did not do the cringey to-the-second timekeeping thing that Discovery has used to signify Vulcan or cleverness since the pilot episode. I have the impression that the Actor is just bored and probably skipped that line.

Millennial-appeal.

I thought the rust-red was bad enough.

This annoys me too. Where is all the Enterprise-tech? Why no Lego shuttle craft? What is with all the spinning. Your craft are symmetrical, you don't need to spin to avoid things.

Why wasn't Burnham sent back to Earth to be with her family & culture?

I did not notice. Probably because he did not have that comically glum expression he wore throughout The Inhumans. Who was those people who came over with him from the Enterprise? What is their point?

I genuinely have no idea what the plot is supposed to be. Are they on a mission? Has something gone wrong? Was it a one-off story or the beginning of an arc? Was there a cliffhanger? I cannot remember. Too much focus on Burnham and her merry band of tokens.

White-face is the new red-shirt.

Always has been. She's there to model how to be a good ally to BLM-with-spaceships.

Oh, no. It's worse than that, much worse. It is snuff-opera. Did you catch that? The doctor, the person in whom the entire ship placed their lives, was into snuff-opera, and now his surviving boyfriend is into the same thing. Clearly this was before Starfleet recruited ship's counsellors, or had any kind of psychiatric screening whatsoever.

Only for merchandising purposes, action figures of them all turning their heads to grin beatifically at Burnham. They will not become significant characters as did previous bridge crews.

There was a red thing? Very J.J. Abrams.

You expect science from a show which in the last season had a ship powered by intergalactic mildew?

Black people are always right in any situation in the new Starfleet. White people of any rank are simply allies.

Bad ally.

Yes.

Will invent Borg.

I do not remember this. Probably trying to go Mystery Box. More J.J. Abrams.

I think they towed it, stopped and allowed it to crash into a hangar bay, because tractor beams are only good for towing things in this timeline.

I fear where that is heading

I have never felt anxious watching a television show but this makes my skin crawl. I do not think I will follow it, but might dip in & out here & there.

BetterNow and lanokia like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I am struggling to summon up the willpower to endure another episode. Nothing in the show appeals at all to me.

sadscientist likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

12. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Well, I’ve given it another watch and I’m enjoying it. Especially Tilly.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No

lanokia likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think there are two episodes of season 2 I have yet to see... I'm not rushing.

I watched a video that explained why everything looks mostly like Trek... but is different.

For legal reasons CBS has to make everything 25% different to the original Trek. Hence the Klingons being hairless and plasticky... and the uniforms being different... and the starship designs being busy.

I don't understand why they didn't set it in the future, then the 25% different thing wouldn't have contradicted canon.

BetterNow likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

I will be watching The Expanse on Prime.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Still waiting for season 3.... long wait.

Thing is I've read the books and the fourth one is the worst by a long way. So the new Amazon bound season 4 might be a struggle.

17. Vince_Ulam

Available on Prime now.

I see a possible explanation for Michael Burnham's distracting do.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah excellent... I shall definitely be watching that this weekend.

19. Vince_Ulam

I might begin a casual re-watch of DS9. Great series.

[​IMG]

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah I rewatched that recently... we worth it... and season 1 was surprisingly better than I remembered.