1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will this cost me a job?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by heno, Jun 1, 2012.

1. heno

heno New commenter

After almost 8 years teaching in a college, I have applied for a secondment. The application form asks for a reference off the college I already work at and my previouse employer. I contacted my previouse employer (another college), which I worked at for a year to cover another persons secondment, I got on well with all staff and students, never missed a single day, was never late, I even mentored a NQT. I had no issues/problems nothing what so ever while working there. Any way it took my old HOD over a week to reply to my request and she wished me good luck asked me how I was etc yet said said in her email that she could not offer me a reference as I had worked there over 7 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I contacted their HR department and they told me that my old HOD was no longer in charge she was now just a lecturer so was not allowed to give a reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if I dont get a reference Im worried it will look very bad and lets be honest here I believe I wont even make interview with out it! Why are they being so unfair can they really do this? When I have done absolutely nothing wrong except not taught there for seven years.

2. heno

heno New commenter

After almost 8 years teaching in a college, I have applied for a secondment. The application form asks for a reference off the college I already work at and my previouse employer. I contacted my previouse employer (another college), which I worked at for a year to cover another persons secondment, I got on well with all staff and students, never missed a single day, was never late, I even mentored a NQT. I had no issues/problems nothing what so ever while working there. Any way it took my old HOD over a week to reply to my request and she wished me good luck asked me how I was etc yet said said in her email that she could not offer me a reference as I had worked there over 7 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I contacted their HR department and they told me that my old HOD was no longer in charge she was now just a lecturer so was not allowed to give a reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if I dont get a reference Im worried it will look very bad and lets be honest here I believe I wont even make interview with out it! Why are they being so unfair can they really do this? When I have done absolutely nothing wrong except not taught there for seven years.

3. Contact them and explain that you have been in touch with your previous employer but it is their college principle not to provide references after seven years ( or six, or five...). Ask if there are alternative references you could give instead.