1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will they hire me...? Degree/experience query.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by nicole01, Dec 15, 2015.

1. nicole01

nicole01 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently Assistant Director of English ( second in department KS4) at a challenging school in Birmingham. I have a BA (hons) in Language, Literacy and Communication and a Masters in Educational Leadership (as well as PGCE and QTS). I have been teaching successfully for 4 years since qualifying. I have always worked in challenging schools and have a good track record of raising attainment particularly in the school I at atm.

I am looking for a job either in Africa, South America or Oceania as an English teacher or Head of Department. However, I am a little concerned, as my degree is not English Literature or English Language, that I won't be hired. I'm also a little concerned that experience in challenging schools is not necessarily a good thing!

If anyone has any insight on this, it would be greatly appreciated. I may just be doubting myself but it would be good to know either way.

Thanks,

Nic

2. nicole01

nicole01 New commenter

Realise I've posted this in the wrong place! Not sure how to delete.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Never mind, we'll just all not reply to this thread!

4. SteveClark590

SteveClark590 New commenter

I wouldn't worry about the exact degree. Most hiring is done based on what you can do, and if your degree doesn't say it, find another way to state it. Blog, website, articles, and direct communication are a few options. If you are interested in relocating to distant lands, you probably fall into the "rare commodity" category and might find some very willing responses to direct inquiry.

I suggest researching the schools you want to teach at, Then reach out directly to the top people who will communicate with you (if the president of the university won't, then perhaps the dean will). They would be foolish to hire someone remotely without knowing what special, specific, unique, and passionate attributes you bring to their organization. You sound young. So, dig deep inside who you are and figure out how to express your personal world view, international engagement desires, and why you want to bring English to schools overseas.

Being from "challenging" schools can be either a bad thing or a good thing depending upon how you package it. If you couldn't get a better gig and could only get hired by a place few others would work at, then it doesn't look so good. If you had other opportunities, but CHOSE to work in high-challenge schools so you could do more good where it was most needed, it shows your veracity to face challenges (like relocating to other cultures).

People don't just hire knowledge. They hire talent and quality of character. Make yours plainly seen to them.

hogglepop likes this.