1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will they be able to recruit enough quality teachers so that my own kids get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hellothisismyusername, Dec 4, 2018.

1. hellothisismyusername

hellothisismyusername New commenter

Hello

Advice please - I don't mean to sound selfish here but i want my kids to have good teachers

I started a new 2 year contract in August

I've now found out that a very, very large group of teachers are leaving

We haven't even advertised yet to replace them - other schools in both our 'group' and our city have - we are not the most sought after city in the world

I'm really anxious that we won't be able to get a high calibre of replacements and that, alongside other students, my own children could be left with teachers that are not good

Should I consider breaking contract and jumping ship ? Or trust that they will be able to recruit ?

2. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

To be fair, first, if the school is any good then they should be considering the caliber of teachers and would want to recruit the best they can.

To some extent, it depends on the ages of your kids. If they are in lower school or the equivalent of KS3, then I'd be tempted just to see it out and wait. Likewise, if they are mid-exam years (i.e. going from Y10 to Y11 IGCSE, or from the first year of IB Diploma to the second) it would probably cause more upheaval to move than not. However, if they are about to start IGCSE or IB then it might be a different factor.

Which country / city are you in?

3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We've only just had people declare their intentions and have only just advertized for their jobs this week. I wouldn't freak out just yet. We're not in a very popular place either. Are the teachers who are leaving terrible? What makes you think that the ones coming in might be? It's not late to start advertising for positions. If we were talking about this in March then I might be worried but it's only just December. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

576 likes this.
  4. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I guess that the people who are leaving had good reason? The fact that you are remaining I take to point to the fact that the school isn't going down the tubes? Sometimes things like this happen, a statistical blip as it were. There are schools here in Bangkok that get 40 to 50 new staff each year because they are just that big now. I certainly wouldn't pull the pin and do a runner unless you see these staff leaving as a precursor for the imminent collapse of the school. Surely if it is that bad for you you can put in your notice, we haven't even reached Christmas yet. Also remember that Brexit is making people in the UK seek out work elsewhere, there are a lot of good teachers around and not too many jobs.

Cheerily,

Perce

5. hellothisismyusername

hellothisismyusername New commenter

Thanks all

I guess location is important (Phil and Kirstie?)

Without wishing to blow anonymity - I'm in a city that isn't exactly desirable in an SEAsian country with its fair share of bad press recently

I think Brexit will see a wave heading out

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

What, precisely, is a "high calibre" or a "quality" teacher, hellothisismyusername? A teacher with an impressive list of qualifications? A very experienced (and therefore older) teacher? A teacher who always agrees (or disagrees) with the SLT? A teacher who sees education as a vocation, rather than as a way to make lots of money? But I seem to remember rather a lot of discussions on this TES forum about big salaries and where (and where not) to get them.

Yes, it is a bit disturbing when many teachers leave a school, hellothisismyusername. But perhaps these teachers who are leaving are not "high calibre" teachers and so maybe the school will be a lot better without them.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I wouldn’t worry unless you see a very troubling bigger picture that contributed to a large number of teachers rightly feeling it is time to go. If you feel ok in general, it’s probably just a swing in the cycle.

8. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Ask the long term staff. Has the school got a history of being fully staffed come August? Why are so many staff leaving?

Redparrotfish likes this.