1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will the pubs shut again?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

If the government is so determined, and rightly so imho, to get schools back in September will they sacrifice thins like pubs as it seems is being hinted at? Also of course so that kids’ parents can stay at work? I thought that was the hint from Whitty and Johnson on friday?

tbh i am worried anti these mass gatherings. Pubs around me have extended their outdoor areas and people are flocking to them especially on warm evenings.

so to keep the target of starting schools again, and to get the infection rate down, do we think pubs will it should be closed down again. Or not?

emerald52 and ajrowing like this.
  2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

3 or 4 pubs in the small city near me were closed again due to an outbreak the other week and lots of people sent for testing. Some people had given false or inaccurate information and couldn't be traced.

install and red_observer like this.
  3. WB

WB Lead commenter

I don't think there can be a blanket yes or no to this question.

The answer is, "It all depends on..." a lot of things.

School are opening en masse and I'm not entirely happy about this but there are multiple considerations that have to taken into account. Children's education and getting the economy moving again have to be factored in.

It's not opening pubs that is the problem, it's the idiots going to pubs and acting like it's all over that are the problem.

4. red_observer

Great post. Where my local is I have tried to go for a pint but you can’t book an outside table. I’ve seen people who NEVER Go to that pub turn up and seen more than 6 people per table. The landlord says nothing as she is after the money.

however where I would disagree with you is that any pubs to be closed should be across the board and not localised otherwise 1 its not fair on those pubs closing and 2 we will have people travelling across areas to find a pub that is open and then adding to the spike there.

Im sorry to say this and enjoy a libation, but it think pubs opening was a luxury and until we get zero infections we can’t trust people to behave properly and therefore should be the first to close in any decision to be part of any “trade off. “

emerald52 and burajda like this.
  5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We are already seeing a lack of social distancing at beaches and other venues where lots of people are congregating. Add alcohol into the mix with pubs opening and behaviour will deteriorate over the drinking session.

I thought it was foolhardy to open pubs again. It's not as though we were living under Prohibition when pubs were shut. We can get all the alcohol that we want from the supermarket or from online orders.
    It was enough, in my opinion, to ease things up with families and friends allowed to meet up in their gardens or homes.

emerald52, colpee, steely1 and 6 others like this.
  6. red_observer

That’s spot on and I think I agree with you. Besides the concerns for pubs which are already in decline in Britain we should have waited and the government could have helped. I think it’s now inevitable that they will close again soon.

colpee likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Pubs are being closed if they are identified as the cause of outbreaks:

Four more pubs close in North Staffordshire town after coronavirus outbreak is linked to another boozer

I think pub closures are more likely on a local basis (as above). There is no point in closing pubs that are covid-safe, as that would help nobody. We've been to two near here for lunch, and another for a drink: none of them had more than one other table of customers - socially distanced about 30 metres away at the other end of the pub garden.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't been into a pub since they re-opened.

That won't change.

9. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

The thread should be: 'Why are the pubs still open?'

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'm afraid I have lost the plot on what is open and what's shut, what you can do and can't do, where you can and can't go. This is made worse by being on the England/Wales border. Things have been clearer in wales, but I do not understand double-U tee eff Boris is playing at, and it is a fair guess that he has no clue either. Since the breaking of the lockdown rules by Cummings, which had worked pretty well up to then (apart from the odd lower profile self-important type deciding the rules didn't apply to them for going round to bonk their bit of stuff, or go to their holiday home) everything has begun to fall apart. Should any of us be bovvered?

11. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

The micro breweries should be posting a biweekly 'sampling' kit.

(Local) pubs offering door to door service.

Adapt, or die....

Aquamarina1234 and red_observer like this.
  12. red_observer

Not confident about going in?

13. red_observer

Indeed it could be.

14. red_observer

One of my locals was doing that quite successfully. I’m not really sure that they had to reopen.

15. red_observer

It’s called leadership...:(

16. red_observer

What is BIZARRE is on the recently locked down areas of the north, how come people can’t go to their friends house but they can meet the same friends in a pub? Can anyone explain that?

17. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Read my original posts in feb/march earlier in the year, as C-19 first came to Korea.

How some of you mocked, said I was OTT, or even wrong for mentioning race, ect in the UK.

I will say again. C-19 does not discriminate. The UK has been so 'behind the curve' it's almost upsetting for me.

On a downer... Its going to get much, much worse for you now....

monicabilongame and red_observer like this.
  18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

They can't sit with their friends at the pub. They will need to be on separate tables.

I agree that it doesn't make sense but I do have sympathy with the publicans. We are friends with the landlady of our local. They invested a huge amount in the place and have built up a successful business.

19. red_observer

To be fair though some of us did say at the time that Johnson acted too slowly.

lindenlea and Laphroig like this.
  20. red_observer

Thought it was 2 households per table? Also I’ve seen people wandering from table to table. How do you police it? You can’t.

I sympathise with publicans too but they are a business that attracts large gatherings. I must add that I am not anti pub ... any businesses that attract large gatherings may have to close.