1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will the memory of the Great War all be over by Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Sadly I think it will be, if it hasn't already. We go through the remembrance thing of the madness of WW1 every year, but what difference does it make when we still send servicemen to their death at the whim of a political leader; and worse still, without a thought for the non-combatants who get caught up in the misery of war.

I don't imagine for a second that either Bush or Blair thought through the consequences of sending troops to Iraq, any more than the dimwits who advocated we leave the EU, without understanding all its consequences, or any more that Thatcher had any idea what the long-term effect off flogging off council housing stock would be.

When we think back to the Great War and wonder what it was all about, the finger gets pointed to a royal family feud between three cousins, which had their respective nations punched their lights out and told them not to be so silly, the millions that died for their kings and countries, might have gone on to better things, like finding absolute proof in the non-existence of God.

I'm eternally grateful that I've never lived through a war that involved British soil; and there's not a doubt in my mind that this wouldn't have been possible had we not been economically tied up with Europe. Yet the misery of WW1 and WW2 gets forgotten, when we next go to war.

The fire power and destruction inflicted on civilians in recent wars has been horrendous beyond comprehension, and yet there wasn't a soul who gave a shcitt about fighting for their king and country when they inflicted it. What's it all about?

Geoff Thomas and JosieWhitehead like this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'm not sure what the point of your post is but the "memory" of the Great War was over years ago when there was finally no one left alive who had experienced it personally. The "memory" we're left with is a hodge podge of non-experienced, second, third or fourth hand misinformation and simple propaganda from persons with agendas to push. Which means it's passed from Experience into History.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No I don't think so, but perhaps the revisionist views will be revised again, and maybe rightly so. Time for terms like "glorious dead" to be ditched, and maybe all the religious references. Men (and some women) died in the war. The survivors had to cope with the aftermath, and in some ways had it worse. There were "heroes", but there were many unfortunate and unnecessary deaths in that truly horrendous death toll, like troops moving up to the front being caught by a long distance shell never having fired a shot or even been in a trench.

Duke of York likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

When I first saw this poster I got the same message from it that was intended for those who did not want to volunteer - if you don't join up you won't know how to explain to your children that you were a coward and did nothing - instilling a sense of guilt for the future.
    [​IMG]

Now I look at the picture and I see a man who did fight in the war; one who is haunted by what he saw and experienced; who probably has PTSD, and who cannot talk about it. And his son sits at his feet playing with the toy soldiers, just as the generals of the time treated the troops - as pieces in a game of strategy.

5. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

That's a great post @monicabilongame. We know, but we don't learn, and that is our tragedy.

6. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

You would be over 270 years old, if you had.

7. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

People are easily led by the nose and can be quite easily made to do the bidding of the powers that be. The media has a major role in the brainwashing of folk to not only celebrate some of the greatest maniacs that ever lived but to keep electing the same types of people election after election.

There are people on this thread that will wring their hands in anguish about the horrors of war and how we never learn as though the current state of affairs is nothing to do with them. They will then will go on to vote for the Tories (or other politcians) who are happy to sell bombs that massacre children and have the British Army fight/help fight wars in various countries (mostly oil rich).

These types of people are either stupid or don't really care and are crying crocodile tears. I suspect the latter is nearer the mark.

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

To return to the original post. there are many people of my generation who will never forget the horrors of, for example, the Somme. We are the people whose grandfathers and great uncles fought in the war and came back the sweetest and gentlest men you'd ever meet. Not that they ever talked about what they'd been through, of course.

When we are all dead - and that won't be long away, - the historians will forget the terrible human cost.

peter12171 and monicabilongame like this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I’ve had the privilege to talk to a good few, and I never got the impression that anyone saw it that way. For the most part, these old servicemen knew they had escaped and had a duty to get on with life; not doing so would be to dishonour the comrades they buried and who were never to see their families again. Never talking about their experiences was often a coping mechanism, but it was also a generational thing - they didn’t think it should be all about them!

True enough; most soldiers killed never saw an enemy soldier and a good many never saw a front line trench - artillery and machine guns at long range did most of the killing. I wouldn’t consider such deaths anymore nor less ‘necessary’ or unfortunate though. An army fights on its logistics and supply lines and they have always been as legitimate a target as the bayonet charging infantry.

Brunel likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Unlike previous wars the First World War has left the experiences of the soldiers in their own words, like this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brjshr/wwi-the-last-tommies-series-1-1-for-king-and-country

And I'm also looking forward to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0brzkzx

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I'm fed up with being asked to 'remember' something I didn't experience. I have no memory of either WW. I'm too young. I can remember stories told by family, things I've read or seen on TV, I can have a quiet moment of thought or reflection but I can't remember events or people I never met or knew.
    I've enjoyed the amazing art installations I've seen, the knitted poppy blankets brightening our communities, the togetherness this may have brought for some people, but I'm fed up of having tins waved in my face, of being asked where my poppy is, and of generally being expected to ,'join in'.

Sorry, no offence intended to anyone, I'm a bit 'remember.ed' out now.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You (or anyone else) isn't being asked to remember something you experienced, but simply to remember the enormous human cost of war in the 20th Century...is that so much to ask/

In any case, you'd better get used to this as 2019 is the 80th anniversary of the start of WW2 - and that is the war my parents generation fought in, and some are still around. I expect a lot of 'war remembrance' for the subsequent 6+ years...

InkyP likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Do the Channel Islands count?

14. Duke of York

So no bombs ever landed on Britain? No blitz, no bombing of Coventry, Liverpool or Portsmouth, to name but a few?

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A recent housing development not a million miles from us was marketed as a 'village' to create a sense of community. Among the features included by the developers was a completely blank stone monolith resembling a war memorial. Some of us joked it was forward planning for the next war, in which case it would be way too small, but people have started laying remembrance wreaths next to it. Weird.

As for forgetting wars - highly unlikely, as we name streets, squares, stations and other geographical features after battles and generals. Try driving through Belgium without a road sign reminding you of a major battle from any point in the last 5 centuries. How many French towns have places named after la Liberation, De Gaulle, resistance heroes and so on? We do the same.

16. Duke of York

I was reflecting that for some reason 100 years gets regarded as an important milestone in history. As this year marks 100 years from the end of the Great War, will its memory become relatively diminished, as we look forward to seeing the end of the memory of defeating Hitler?

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I should not have used the word 'memory' perhaps but I rather resent being told that all I have in its place is a hodge-podge of minformation and propaganda. For those of us in our sixties and beyond, WW1 was something experienced by close family.

BelleDuJour, T34, InkyP and 1 other person like this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Whilst fully understanding why tomorrow is such an important day (and, indeed, I am leading worship tomorrow and the theme of the service is 'Looking back - Looking forward', focusing on remembrance - sacrifice - peace), I do often wonder when should / could we move on.

That may sound clumsily expressed, but in Northern Ireland, for example, battles fought literally hundreds of years ago are commemorated each year, and (it seems to me) serve only to reopen wounds and further divide, often leading to fresh violence. Maybe that's their purpose?

Clearly, that's not the case when we commemorate WW1 (and other wars) on Remembrance Sunday. In fact, quite the reverse. I guess once a year to 'remember' - or perhaps 'reflect on' is now a better phrase - wars & their victims across the world is no bad thing. Though whether it makes any dfference to what happens next is another issue.

So maybe I've answered my own question! :oops:

neddyfonk, Rott Weiler and BetterNow like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It didn't make any difference even 21 years later.

silkywave and nizebaby like this.